BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Recovery points on a Gen 3 (2011)

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
12 Jul 2022 09:44 #244056 by DrRobin
Hi,

After a great day out at the BigJimny event, I had to back out of a track, the first, the front wheels went over a sharp hump and started loosing traction as something grounded, I was only going slow as I thought this might happen and the car came back out okay. 

This got me thinking about recovery points, I have decided I don't want a winch, but something to tie a tow rope on might be useful and I could always get a portable winch in the future,

I have a tow bar fitted to the rear, can this be used as a recovery point, perhaps with a strop (couple, one at each side) and/or clamp round the main bar, it is quite thick box section, not sure if this would be okay? 

Regarding the front, do I need to cut the front bumper to fit recovery points?

If I can use the tow bar can anyone recommend a suitable product to provide the recovery point?  If not can anyone make a recommendation for rear recovery points with a tow bar fitted and also front recovery points?

Ta

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2022 09:57 #244059 by Lambert
Firstly I have a set of new unused front recovery points available that I never got round to fitting to Dreadnaught. Yours is the same age so good to go if you are interested. Yes they require a small bumper cut.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2022 10:27 #244060 by DrRobin
Hi Lambert,

Oh, I remember now, that would be good. Are the radius arm protectors still available as well?

I know I should have thought about this before the meet, so would now need you to post them, is that okay?

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2022 10:41 #244061 by Lambert
Yes all still available. Can post if you want or if you are not desperate I will be in Newcastle visiting friends a week on Saturday?

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2022 11:01 #244062 by DrRobin
Hi,

I am in no real rush, so Sat 23rd? I will be around in the morning, but going out to a birthday do about 11:30 and not back until [much] later. I could meet up in the morning?

If that is doable, send me a PM with details of how much you want and where you would want to meet up? Otherwise, quite happy to cover post/courier costs.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2022 19:40 #244069 by DrRobin
So I am going for Lambert’s front recovery points which just leaves the rear.  It looks as though you can’t mount rear recovery points if you already have a tow bar, they probably use the same fixings, but looking at the tow bar I reckon a strap loop round both ends of the bar and then a bridle across the two should be strong enough for anything I need.

photos of the tow bar 

What do we think?

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2022 21:02 #244071 by Busta
Use the tow bar. You should be aware that there are some very very very rare instances where bolt-on towballs have failed after seriously heavy handed recoveries on big 4x4s that are very stuck. For recovering a Jimny when you've made a small error of judgement it will be fine.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2022 21:42 #244073 by DrRobin
Thanks Busta, all good advice and good to know the tow bar will do what I need.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Jul 2022 03:22 #244074 by Lambert
On the occasion of needs must I loop a strap round the back of the flange that the ball bolts to rather than just the neck of the actual towball. But like Busta said it's people being violent with huge shock loading that have the problems.

More
13 Jul 2022 13:34 #244078 by gv42
We use Dave marsh racing , jimny recovery points, in my brother's car, the rear ones fit perfectly well with his tow bar

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
19 Jul 2022 13:28 #244151 by DrRobin
I decided to use the tow bar, marked an area in red at each end then fitted a clamp round the bar to stop the straps from moving inwards.

I then purchased 2 x Cage Straps, that just go over the tow bar support bracket and loop back on themselves, 5T each.

I will use a bridle to proivide a single recovery point.  When off-roading I could fit the cage straps and bridle, loop it over the spare, just case of rescue.

Next job, the front recovery points.
Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
26 Jul 2022 15:07 #244236 by DrRobin
I bought Jimnybits front recovery points from Lambert, even better he brought them round on Sat morning.  Typical I was busy Saturday, but had opportunity on Sunday, so got started.

I found a video guide to removing the front bumper www.scegliauto.com/en/video/suzuki/tutorial/18575/

then we are ready to get going. 

The Jimnybits recovery points don't seem to come with instructions, so I used their webpage as a guide.
I positioned the offside (UK) recovery point and held in place with a clamp.

Once held in the right place, I drilled the top hole, checked it on the Jimnybits webpage, then drilled the bottom and two at the back.

The back two bolts go through a double thickness and it helps if you have a 10mm long shank drill as they are close to the body work.
I put all of the bolts in loose just to get everything in the right place.

Then moved on to the nearside with the same procedure.  This is harder as the recovery point sits over the access to the bolts.

I drilled all 5 holes and checked it was in the right place, before trying to assembly it proper.  A 17mm cranked ring spanner just fits through the end to tighten the top and bottom bolts.

I wanted all of the nuts on the inside, so used a magnetic pick up to place the washers and nuts on the bottom bolts.  The front was easy, but the back, I just couldn't get the nut to thread on to the bolt and after several minutes trying, just put the bolt in with the nuts underneath.

The two bolts at the back with the captive metal were difficult to do, they wouldn't sit flat in the frame and the bracket was difficult to centre.  I reckon with the ring spanner ordinary bolts would have worked just fine.

With the brackets mounted, time to cut the bumper.  I measured twice, once with a ruler and again by applying tape on the back of the bumper.

I even made some cardboard templates, then cut a 50x16mm slot, it was perfect in the vertical, but a couple of mm out horizontally.  Not a problem, time to break the file out.

I had a suspicion that the recovery points weren't going to come far enough out for my bumper and with the bumper cut, sure enough there wasn't enough space to get the shackle on.  So I had to break out the drill, saw and file and make a larger cut out.  To hide this, I cut some foam and glued it to the back of the bumper.  It is soft enough to allow the shackle to be fitted and will keep most of the dirt out.

I have some rubber sheet, I will make a couple of covers to go on the outside, when time permits.  Actually I don't mind them set back a bit, it means you don't bash your leg on when going round the front and makes it less obvious to anyone looking.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds