BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Recovery points on a Gen 3 (2011)

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
01 Aug 2022 19:18 #244362 by DrRobin
So I decided to make some covers for my front tow points. They are made from some 3mm plastic, cut to size, then bent with the aid of a heat gun and glued together.  A sheet of rubber ensures a snug fit and four plastic clips hold each cover in place.

OK I spent nearly as long making the covers as I did fitting the tow points, but I am pleased with the look.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Aug 2022 03:21 #244366 by Lambert
Looking good, it's a pity Suzuki didn't do something similar from factory.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Aug 2022 05:38 - 02 Aug 2022 05:40 #244368 by yakuza
Here In Norway I could not fit these recovery points without might getting a MOT fail. Not allowed to put anything sharp or hard in front of the car here to avoid hurting all the pedestrians we run over.
So i have been thinking of finding a soft recovery point like a strap bolted to the frame rail and coming out of the front somewhere.
But this solution with the covers could actually pass here, good idea!

On a second note for the rear I have been using a dynamic strap at the original recovery points and been yanking alot of cars out with it. Did not bother to be careful with them as i do have a welder and was a bit revved up myself at the danish meet in may, but did not hurt the original eye a bit, looks just as fine as before. I got a large shackle in it and been yanking a whole lot and it still holds.
The dynamic rope is a beatiful thing for the price. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2022 05:40 by yakuza.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 13:10 #244416 by DrRobin
So I decided to change the cage straps over the tow bar and fit a couple of swivel eyes.  These M16 eye bolts can take 2T each for a straight pull and 1.25T for a 90 degree pull, plenty for my Jimny and good value at about £25 each.

Time to break out the big drill bit

Then put the bolt in with some waterproof grease fit a 3mm plate washer to spread the load and finally a nut, spring washer and a nyloc nut, torqued up to as much as I could manage.

The external view

finally to stop then rattling when not in use, some shock cord.

Another job completed, next up fit the radius arm protectors I bought from Lambert.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Aug 2022 15:14 #244418 by Lambert
Interesting idea that. Gives you options for a bridal off any 2 of 3 points at the back. Does your bar have holes in the end flanges mine does and I have used a hook in there when I wanted to have more points. Do like your idea though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
06 Aug 2022 16:48 #244419 by DrRobin
The bar on mine is just welded on to the end plates, no holes, otherwise I might have copied Bosenak’s idea of putting a threaded bar down the middle and through the original tow points.

Mounting the recovery points close to the end plates (about 7mm plate) and using a bridle will be plenty strong enough for me.

At least it avoids more bumper cutting.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds