BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wheel and tyre storage.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 May 2022 17:18 #243319 by Lambert
Fast approaching a second set of wheels and wanting to keep them in the best way off the car which seems to be in tyre bags stacked flat. To that end can anyone recommend a good wheel bag? The sub tenner ones get bad reviews but equally I'm not about to buy the continental variety just because of the name.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2022 18:55 #243322 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Wheel and tyre storage.
How about a vac bag, the sort you use for duvet or large rubble sack? 
They sell similar for motorcycles and they work. Place wheel(s) in bag, add desiccant silica gel, vacuum out some air to reduce size of bag and cable tie the end shut (or close valve). The reduced air volume, this stops moisture damage and they will look like new even after a few years storage.
Just an idea.
Yes store them flat, keep them out of sunlight and direct heat.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
15 May 2022 20:54 #243323 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Wheel and tyre storage.
I bought some black breathable bags off eBay for my spare set, they were kept outside over winter and the summer wheels were fine inside.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 May 2022 03:26 #243327 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wheel and tyre storage.
While I like the idea of the vacuum bags idea I have a concern for durability as I might be into and out of the spare tyres quite regularly. I'll look into some pricing for very heavy duty versions.

Dr. When you kept them outside was that just in the bags or were they additionally protected, like in a garden box or something?

More
16 May 2022 07:41 #243328 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Wheel and tyre storage.
They were outside, leant against a wooden fence behind a greenhouse, so some shelter. I stored them vertical so the water would run off.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 May 2022 17:55 #243330 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Wheel and tyre storage.
If you have room in a garage or shed you don't need much else. Maybe chuck a blanket over them to keep the dust/bird droppings/whatever off of them.
The main killer of tyres is sunlight. If you can keep them out of the sun that's as good as it gets. To a lesser extent the plasticisers in the rubber evaporate over time but bags aren't going to stop that.
I've got lots of assorted tyres both on and off wheels. I just stack them on their side in piles 4 or more high in a fairly dark shed. I have some Firestones that have gone hard but to be fair they are 30+ years old.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 May 2022 19:05 #243331 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wheel and tyre storage.
That's how tyres are stored on the farm which as far as it goes is ok as it's not directly my money or responsibility. However I have always been a believer in best practice especially on things that are under my direct control and from other research mike's idea of vacuum bags has some good industrial support as it significantly slows leaching of oils and suchlike from the tyre, something to do with ozone?

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds