BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

360 degree bird view camera

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
06 May 2022 09:20 #243230 by DrRobin
I decided to fit a 360 degree camera system to my Jimny, it makes it easier to park next to the kerb without scuffing the wheels as well as seeing how far away you are from the trees and logs on those narrow lanes.  There are plenty for sale, mine was about £120.

It has four cameras, one on the rear, one on the front and two on the side.  I decided to fit the side cameras on the door mirrors and route the cables through the inside of the doors.  I needed to take the mirrors off and remove the outer cover to drill and feed the wiring.

The rear camera went just above the number plate.  I had to take the bumper off to do the wiring.

There are connections to make in to the reversing lights and left and side indicators, plus the camera feed cables to route, so a fair bit to remove and wiring to lay beneath carpets and through the front firewall.  The control box fitted above the glove compartment.

Then it was a long process to calibrate it using a mat (home made in the end).  The camera shows the rear when you go in to reverse, the side view when you put the indicators on, then a few seconds of the front view.  There is also a remote control to allow you to see the view at any time.

The birds eye view doesn't quite stitch correctly and there is some distortion, this is caused by the rear camera been too low.

Overall it is pretty handy, but it took a bit of installing, done over two weekends, a few hours a day for four days, plus a couple of attempts to calibrate.  It would have been quicker if I fitted everything in one go instead of doing a little bit, putting the Jimny back together and then doing a bit more.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 May 2022 11:32 #243232 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 360 degree bird view camera
That's cool. I have wondered about something similar for Temeraire for off road work.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 May 2022 12:15 #243247 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic 360 degree bird view camera
If I was going to keep Little Jim, I would probably have a look at something like this.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds