BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rear door gas strut.

More
03 Jan 2022 14:45 #240888 by Mert1
Rear door gas strut. was created by Mert1
Hi, 

My wife has a 2017 Jimny which has for some time been making an unusual knocking sound from the rear. It drives her nuts and I have been unable to locate the source of the problem. Today however I think I have found it. The knuckle which holds the rear door gas strut to the bumper is worn on the ball and if I shake it about it produces the noise, not all the time but every now and then. I haven't time to take the strut off before going away tomorrow,( the nut holding the strut to the bumper is awkward to get to), but I will have a look when I get home. 

I wondered if anyone else has had this happening? It doesn't make the noise every time the car goes over a bump, just now and again as if the weight of the spare moves the door at certain times.

Thanks,

Martin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2022 15:12 - 03 Jan 2022 18:24 #240889 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rear door gas strut.
Yes ours is the same, but only when the door is fully open.
When open the gas strut is at its maximum extension and so can rattle on the ball. However when you shut the door the strut is under compression and effectively holds the strut against the ball, so it doesn't rattle with the door shut. Are you sure yours rattling when shut ?

Also do you have a tow bar fitted?
These can rob the rear silencer of space to move, when they hit it sound very much like an intermittent rear door problem. Well mine did
If you do have a tow bar try shacking the exhaust pipe just in front of the rear passenger side wheel, up down / side to side, see if this produces the noise. Moving at the tail pipe will not, it's supported by a hanger at this point that prevents movement in this area.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Jan 2022 18:24 by Scimike.

More
03 Jan 2022 21:22 #240894 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Rear door gas strut.
My back door was making a bit of noise and I had to adjust the rubber stops to tighten it up on the latch when closed, perhaps this is what you can hear?

When I fitted a tow bar I noticed that the back box was quite close and moved or repositioned one of the hangers to give more clearance. I can’t quite remember what I moved but the box doesn’t hit the tow bar.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
04 Jan 2022 10:12 #240897 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rear door gas strut.

When I fitted a tow bar I noticed that the back box was quite close and moved or repositioned one of the hangers to give more clearance. I can’t quite remember what I moved but the box doesn’t hit the tow bar.
I had exactly the same problem when I fitted mine, it took a lot of adjustment to give it clearance. For me it was the rear silencer passenger side hanger that needed adjustment to lift the silencer slightly. But once fitted it never hit......
Roll forward 2 years and the Jimny developed any annoying intermittent rear door rattle. Turned out the silencer hanger had metal fatigue crack  and was once again flexing to hit the tow bar. Looked perfectly fine when inspected, only a pipe shake on the mid section highlighted the issue.
I was convinced it was the rear door / jack area for months, drove me mad. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds