× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny loosing power/ not accelerating properly

More
07 Dec 2021 04:18 - 05 Jul 2022 23:29 #240527 by JimnyZh
Newbie here but I have been driving my 2010 Jimny since I have bought it new.

I wouldn't say I religiously maintain it but at least oil change every 15000 km. The plugs were changed 20000km /10000miles ago (a year ago).clutch plates were changed at 90000km but feels ok at current 215000km so I have not had it changed.

Anyway, I have noticed that at around 90km/h (55mph), sometimes it's would not accelerate anymore for say a minute, then all of a sudden it would start to accelerate normally again (on a flat roar that I didn't have problem for years).  And every now and then at 90 plus kph, I could feel the power dipped for a second (as if I let go of the gas pedal for a second) before going back to normal.

I thought it was my clutch again but if it were the case, the RPM would have gone crazy...

Not sure if it is related, the Jimny also started to stall when idle (usually it's at around700rpm, but sometimes it slowly drops to below 500 and stalls), maybe it's related or maybe just the cable stretching over time?

Any suggestions before I take it to a mechanic? I is my experience that if I knew what could be wrong, I would get charged less.

Thx
Update: 6-7-22

​​​a few months back my mechanic told me to just get new fuel and give it a good high RPM run on the motorway, it did the trick. He thought it may be a bad batch of fuel
Last edit: 05 Jul 2022 23:29 by JimnyZh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Dec 2021 06:41 - 07 Dec 2021 06:45 #240528 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the early stages of the camshaft/crankshaft position sensor failing, does it usually do it once it's good and warmed up? The other alternative could be the catalytic converter disintegrating but that would be more constant.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 07 Dec 2021 06:45 by Lambert.

More
07 Dec 2021 10:42 #240534 by JimnyZh
Thanks Lambert

It does feel like it only does that once warmed up, but then I usually only get on the motor way after its warmed up.

I hope it's not the camshaft, that sounds expensive....

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Dec 2021 15:48 #240541 by Lambert
They are sensors that tell the computer where the engine is in its cycle. They're cheap enough.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Dec 2021 22:17 #240546 by JimnyZh
Ah ok, so is there a way to figure out which in to change? Or do I just go ahead with replacing the one easier to get to first (I read on this forum that one is much easier to replace) and see if it works?

There are also references to "water spray test" for the sensors on this forum but I couldn't figure out how to do it and what is it for.

Thanks again

More
05 Jul 2022 23:30 #243956 by JimnyZh
​​​JUST an update: few months back my mechanic told me to just get new fuel and give it a good high RPM run on the motorway, it did the trick. He thought it may be a bad batch of fuel

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds