BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

K&N Airfilter - Have one long term, any issues?

More
14 Nov 2021 16:10 #240113 by Roger Fairclough
I did some acceleration runs with and without a filter. The filter was a new paper one. I did not detect any differences. I changed the filter on the LC when needed and that depended on the state of the tracks etc. Sand and dust were the worst. Paper filters are changed at specific service intervals because Mr and Mrs Joe Blog wouldn't know what they were or were or what they looked like. Suzuki et al need to cater for these people and so they stipulate a filter change even if they may appear to be useable. Better to change it than to have an irate owner demanding a new engine.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Nov 2021 16:23 #240114 by Lambert
It's entirely possible to use fluid dynamics software to redesign the inlet system of a naturally aspirated vehicle to provide some amount more power than a factory system. What is never going to happen is any detectable increase in power as a result of simply replacing the filtering medium in the standard tract. Unless you add forced induction.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Nov 2021 19:50 #240126 by Roger Fairclough
To clarify the situation.
The purpose of the test was not to increase power but to check if a paper element reduced it. My experience indicated that it did not. This serious of tests also proved ( at least to me ) that no air filter would increase power.

Roger

More
14 Nov 2021 21:27 #240133 by 300bhpton

It's entirely possible to use fluid dynamics software to redesign the inlet system of a naturally aspirated vehicle to provide some amount more power than a factory system. What is never going to happen is any detectable increase in power as a result of simply replacing the filtering medium in the standard tract. Unless you add forced induction.

Indeed :)

Dyno tests I've seen would suggest an element swap is in the range of about 0.5hp gain +-

But a redesigned induction setup could yield upto 15-17bhp or maybe slightly more*

*This would depend on the factory setup and type of engine. Larger displacement low tuned engines will often result with good gains. Small displacement more highly tuned engines less so.

More
14 Nov 2021 21:42 - 14 Nov 2021 23:28 #240135 by Scimike
Just been reading how this has progressed, interesting to read the yes / no experiences.
What is ROI, Google suggests Return on Investment?

For me the Return on Investment  (if that's what it stands for) will be 3 years from now as I tend not to sell my vehicles and my Jimny is a keeper.  I  have successful use these devices on other vehicles I own, so I only had concerns myself about possible MAF issues.
They obviously aren't for everyone, but when it arrives and gets fitted, the departing paper filter will be the last one I send to landfill which is enough for me.

They are also a bit of a god send on vehicles that ECP/Halfords don't support due to age, not the Jimny (just yet), but the only source for discontinued paper filters can be car shows or expensive club reproduction items.

So looking forward to the increase performance, better mpg
.  Only joking, I've got ladders fitted to max out the performance 

​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2021 23:28 by Scimike. Reason: This new editor sucks compared to the old one

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds