BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New coil springs?!

More
13 Jun 2021 00:32 - 13 Jun 2021 00:36 #235751 by ow3x3xpr3ss
Hi all,just a quick and simple question, I will gain back some lift and improved handling on road with a complete set of new coil springs?! for my 17 years old Jimny.  
Cheers 

Is already fitted with new shock absorbers, which made a huge difference...
Last edit: 13 Jun 2021 00:36 by ow3x3xpr3ss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2021 07:56 - 13 Jun 2021 07:59 #235752 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New coil springs?!
The direct answer is yes - after 17 years it's likely your original springs have dropped a little. Fitting new should restore this.
will it feel any better? - subjective at best. It will feel different, better or worse is your perception. Dampers are the item that can change the feel the most and you have already swapped these.
I assumed you are staying OEM spring length and not referring to a "lift" by adding longer springs. If you are be aware that the spring travel is usually matched to the damper travel.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Jun 2021 07:59 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Jun 2021 08:25 #235753 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New coil springs?!
I used suplex standard height springs to recondition Dreadnaught, made a definite improvement on the 80k original ones.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Jun 2021 08:54 #235756 by ow3x3xpr3ss
Replied by ow3x3xpr3ss on topic New coil springs?!
Yes ,I'm going for the standard ones ,not intrested in any modifications, 97% of the time is used on tarmac. I reckon is not to difficult to install them myself?! Thank you

Cheers

More
13 Jun 2021 14:43 #235763 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New coil springs?!
You can't beat a recommendation, the suplex Lambert fitted would be my first choice. Its simply that a lot of "monkey metal" springs are in circulation, they don't last very long before you are sagging again, at least they are in the Land Rover world.

It appears to be a simple job although I have not done it myself. My perception is that you can change them without spring compressors if you uncouple the damper and lift the body / lower the axle, enough space exists to get them out. Those that have done the job please confirm or correct me.
All the bestMike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Jun 2021 16:06 #235765 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New coil springs?!
Yes easy just undo the bottom of the dampers and support the body, the axle drops enough to get the springs out.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Jun 2021 17:59 #235767 by ow3x3xpr3ss
Brilliant, just ordered the Suplex ones as recommended, and hopefully i will manage to fit them in time for the Jimny meeting. Many thanks!!!

Cherrs 

More
14 Jun 2021 12:59 #235785 by McVicar
Replied by McVicar on topic Re:New coil springs?!
Where did you order them from mate?

More
14 Jun 2021 16:19 #235789 by ow3x3xpr3ss
Replied by ow3x3xpr3ss on topic Re:New coil springs?!
Ebay ,£ 99 front and rear!

More
14 Jun 2021 19:31 #235795 by McVicar
Replied by McVicar on topic Re:Re:New coil springs?!
Thanks

More
14 Jun 2021 21:17 #235796 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic New coil springs?!
I had a very tired car at 72k and replaced standard springs with oe equivalent springs from KYB, there was a huge improvement and I would recommend any owner with over 50k, consider a full suspension swap. Standard shocks + springs can be sorted for £200

Then again a +2" Black Raptor lift kit (4xsprings 4xdampers) from James is only £310 delivered.... You'll end up wishing you'd done it..

sniper

More
19 Jun 2021 10:52 #235958 by ow3x3xpr3ss
i just received an update regarding my parcel that  is going to  arrive in a few hours time,that means I'm going to start the swap TODAY!  
thanks again ,cheers.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds