BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Lithium jump packs

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jun 2021 07:48 #235622 by Lambert
Lithium jump packs was created by Lambert
Whatcha. It's occurred to me that now I have an auto if I do something stupid like flatten the battery  while listening to tunes doing a job, I can't just bump start it down the nearest slope. I'm therefore exploring the possibility of a jump pack,  I have seen noco ones on amazon for semi reasonable money, are they any good or should I be looking at something else? Cheers. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2021 09:07 - 06 Jun 2021 09:11 #235625 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Lithium jump packs
I don't know and have often wondered myself if they are actually any good or not.
Construction wise they all fall into the "abusing components" category, in that the cables are thin, the batteries within are almost operating in a short condition etc. They also make bold claims, up to 20 starts from a single charge is my favourite. 
Plenty of people give positive reviews, so maybe it's just me being sceptical, it's in my nature.

The reality for me is I simply have a set of old fashion jump leads and a second vehicle I can use to jump start, not that dissimilar to yourself, so do you actually need one?
If it's a definite yes I would also consider a second "winch" battery configuration, that way it's always charged and ready to go, and may not cost much more that a pack.
If you go for one give us a review, I would find it interesting  as I also don't believe Amazon reviews!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 06 Jun 2021 09:11 by Scimike. Reason: Fat fingers and predictive text, a marriage made for editing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
06 Jun 2021 09:15 #235626 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Lithium jump packs
You might find this interesting
I like big Clive, he takes things apart just to see how bad or good they are.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
06 Jun 2021 09:32 #235627 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Lithium jump packs
For what it's worth i like Scimike's post, biggest main battery and a second winch battery, your new jimny with all it's electronics everything will work better on a daily basis, if in trouble jump off second battery

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jun 2021 10:48 #235628 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Lithium jump packs
I get what you are saying about leads and a second vehicle but while it's only a phone call away it's not always convenient. I'm reluctant to get a second battery as its a lot of weight for a what if situation while a jumper is a fraction of the weight and more portable? Will watch the video. Cheers.

More
06 Jun 2021 14:18 #235630 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Lithium jump packs
I looked around Xmas for and was going to buy a Sealey model, but Mobile Solar Chargers got great reviews so waited a week for them to be back in stock and bought the bigger of the two models since it will power 12v equipment, 18v for a laptop and of course USB for phone charging as well as jump starting a car.

They are an interesting company, they direct this power bank at standby power for expeditions, like trekking across the desert or to the North Pole and the jump starter is really an afterthought. I have never had opportunity to try it but have no doubt it would start a Jimny or any other vehicle with ease. I have used the 12v for powering a pump and also a two way radio.

It’s really well made, comes with every lead and zips in to a nice case. I also got a free USB lamp thrown in.

The guy who runs the company is super helpful, so if you want to spend a bit more but get a great British product that will also start you tractor, these are the guys. Have a look at their blog, it’s quite interesting.

www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk/shop/details/overland-plus

Did I mention it is waterproof, has a torch and will even flash out SOS in morse code, could be ideal for the nautical members (take note Martin).

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jun 2021 16:33 #235631 by Lambert
That's much more like it. When is payday?

More
06 Jun 2021 19:26 #235632 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Lithium jump packs
I have on of cheaper starters and it works nicely. ( YABER Starthilfe Powerbank, 800A Spitzstrom 12000mAh Tragbare Auto Starthilfe 12V Autobatterie Anlasser mit LED Taschenlampe )

I like it because it is small and light and although I also have a standard battery in the garage as backup I very much prefer the small one.

More
07 Jun 2021 00:11 #235641 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Re:Lithium jump packs
I plan on buying one, or to be honest, several (one per vehicle), but haven't gotten around to it. Like you I was a sceptic, what swayed me is one of my friends, a mechanic, has one, and he has had good experiences with it.

One of my concerns was how often I would need to charge it - ideally I'd like to be able to treat it as I would jumper cables - toss it in the back until it's needed, without having to worry about it being dead - I was in a co-worker's car and she had one, which she said had been used to start her car the day before, it belonged to a friend and he had only charged it once, several months before, so it does hold the charge for extended periods.

I'll most likely go with the Anker ROAV brand, primarily because I've had very good experiences with their products, I have several of their USB chargers, and also a couple of their dash cams, chinese made, but they make a good product.

More
07 Jun 2021 07:52 #235642 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Re:Lithium jump packs

For what it's worth i like Scimike's post, biggest main battery and a second winch battery, your new jimny with all it's electronics everything will work better on a daily basis, if in trouble jump off second battery

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
I have a dual battery setup in my Jimny. While the vehicle is not running, everything runs off the auxiliary battery, leaving your car's battery out of the equation, so that there is never an issue starting the car. There is also an override so that you can jump start the car from the second battery if needed.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Jun 2021 08:55 #235643 by Lambert
Not really living out of my car for extended periods and therefore not having a selection of support systems on board the idea of a second battery seems way ott for what I do with my car. It really is a get out of gaol free card for me so it needs to be compact, portable, versatile and above all lightweight hence the jump pack idea.

More
07 Jun 2021 14:07 #235647 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Lithium jump packs
Regarding Re-Charging: I had mine sitting in shelf for 4 months and then suddenly had to help a friend. It worked really good. 

Also the pack can be charged in the car with a usual USB charger. In case you would want it to permanently attached to the USB, I would check how much current flows back from the jump starter into the switched-off USB charger. I once had a car USB charger that drained my mobile phone, if I forgot it in the car.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds