BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Usefulness of a roof rack?

• Jamin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2021 23:09 #233022 by Jamin
Usefulness of a roof rack? was created by Jamin
Greetings gentlemen, 

When i travel with my Jimny, I use Thule squarebars mounted to the factory rails. i carry a Thule roofbox with lightweight camping gear.

I like the direct bolt to roof, racks. Such as the one offered by Horntools. But my question to people with aftermarket racks, can you mount a roofbox to them, or crossbars if need be?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2021 23:29 - 20 Feb 2021 00:28 #233024 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Usefulness of a roof rack?
Hi
Isn't this going to depend upon the shape of the selected rack and the size of the roof box?
I have a Jimnybits expedition rack and I use it predominantly to store any wet camping gear when I break camp. I put it in stuff sacks and throw it on the top as it has cross rails to keep any items off the roof.
It would be possible to fit a small roof box within the frame sides on the cross rails, but the wind deflector on the front would prevent a large box being installed. 
So it's a yes to cross rails, maybe to small box for the Jimnybits offering. Great if you are happy with things in bags!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 20 Feb 2021 00:28 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Feb 2021 06:41 #233026 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Usefulness of a roof rack?
I have cross bars bolted directly to the roof where the factory rails went and I prefer them to an actual basket or platform because its both lower profile and less permanent weight. When we have permission to venture out into the world I'm looking at getting a modest roof box to complement the bars so that I can free up the back of Dreadnaught for doggo instead of having his cage packed round and above with stuff.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Feb 2021 09:49 #233029 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Usefulness of a roof rack?
I use the large Horntools one. It has a railing and therefore it depends on the box you want to mount. I did mount my box for skies, I just attached them to the front an back of the railing.

There are some drivers that removed the railing with a grinder. Quiet easy because the rack is made of aluminum. And then any box would fit.

Generally the roof rack makes a very stable impression and not too much noise on the highway.

More
20 Feb 2021 17:44 #233050 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Usefulness of a roof rack?
I have cross bars the same as Lambert. I mainly use them for long things that won't fit in the car, like lengths of timber and kayaks, but I've also considered a roof box to put bulky but light stuff in (like the massive duvet my girfriend insists we take when camping). It seems to me that the big roof rack/cages are less useful than traditional bars for most of the things you're likely to want to carry on the roof. They also eat into the precious 30kg load limit and add height. But I believe they are and important part of "the look" if that matters to you.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds