BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

fitting anual hubs should be a doddle right? ahhhhhhh!

More
17 Feb 2021 14:20 #232898 by roughnready
Ok, found I had no four wheel drive, so fitted some Tyrex freewheeling hubs. Disconnected and capped the vaccuum pipes. Didn't disconnect sensor under battery as getting cold and I wasn't sure I had the right bit. Should be hunky dory right? Still no drive to the front wheels whether set to 4x4 or 4x2. When in gear and front jacked up, wheels spin freely by hand, except passenger side makes a ticking sound as it spins. As you can no doubt tell, I am to mechanicing as Mary Berry is to shot putting, so helpful suggestions would be apprecitaed. Ceheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2021 14:56 #232899 by Busta
Ticking noise could be a broken CV.
It's always best to trouble shoot the vacuum system before ditching it. It's simple and easy to maintain.

More
17 Feb 2021 15:32 #232900 by Roger Fairclough
Jack the front axle off the ground. Put car into 4 wheel drive mode. Lock in hubs. Try to turn each front wheel by hand with other wheel chocked. Wheel should not rotate. If it does, drive has been interrupted. Do both sides. Probably one side defective, but you need to check free wheeling hubs for correct operation. but you need to check drive from T/box. Jack up front with both wheels off the ground. Make sure car stable and safe. Use axle stands or similar. In 4 wheel drive propshaft should not rotate. Release 4 wheel drive, propshaft should rotate. If it rotates when in 4 wheel drive, you have t/box problem.

More
19 Feb 2021 22:42 - 19 Feb 2021 22:50 #233021 by Johnniehec
You only need to jack one front wheel off the ground. Select 4wd, switch hubs to 4x4 or locked and jack either front wheel off the ground. If you can rotate the wheel by hand somethings wrong. Looking  at the front prop while turning the wheel by hand, if it's rotating hubs are good and transfer box isn't selecting 4wd, if it's not turning one or both hubs are not locked. Then remove the hub on the jacked wheel and try to rotate the half shaft, you'll need a mole grip or a big pliers if you can't turn it the other hub is locked correctly and the one you've removed wasn't locked, if you can turn it the other hub isn't locked, and the one you've removed might or might not have been locked  either. 

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2021 22:50 by Johnniehec.

More
23 Feb 2021 17:32 #233161 by roughnready
Brilliant that makes sense. Tried it with both wheels seperately and it looks like neither hub is making the connection as spinning freely when other wheel is on the ground. No rotating half shaft . Next question. WHY? New hubs look like substancial pieces of engineering, and when I twisted the dial off the car, the centre seemed to move in and out as expected. Starting to feel like I've missed something obvious? Other than disconnecting vacuum tubes, capping and doing a straight swap, is there anything else to this?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Feb 2021 18:28 #233166 by Lambert
You mentioned that you got a clicking noise, with the steering on full lock either way does the clicking get worse when you turn the tyre?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Feb 2021 19:44 #233170 by Busta
Take a hub off and see if you can turn the driveshaft, and if that makes the propshaft spin.

More
24 Feb 2021 10:42 #233206 by Roger Fairclough
Or the other way round.

Roger

More
24 Feb 2021 13:35 #233212 by mlines
What fitment hubs do you have?

1. Vitara fitment on a jimny - need a spacer ring

2. Jimny fitment on a jimny - do not need a spacer ring.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
24 Feb 2021 15:18 #233223 by roughnready
OK, found the problem, ticking sound was the oversized toothed doughnut on the new hubs spinning baggily on the end of the half shaft. Right number of teeth, just hole about 2mm too large. Either i'ts manufacturer mistake or previous owner fitted some none standard shafts. Think very carefully before buying Tyrex TY08571.Will have to wait for dealer to get back to me with a fix. Oh well, A few more days work not getting done on this small holding. Wishing I'd drilled and sunk a bolt through the original hubs now.

More
24 Feb 2021 16:28 - 24 Feb 2021 18:45 #233228 by Johnniehec
Just put the original vac hubs back on in the locked position, no need to fuss about drilling holes in them. I've been competing for four years with mine like that and another four years in my previous Jimny.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 18:45 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
24 Feb 2021 18:12 - 24 Feb 2021 18:46 #233236 by Busta
The advantage of the screw method is you don't even need to remove the hub. With a 20mm self tapping screw it takes just a couple of seconds. No fussing about at all!
Last edit: 24 Feb 2021 18:46 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds