BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Vibration

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2020 20:04 #231003 by Craigyh1990
Vibration was created by Craigyh1990
Newbie has it a few weeks never noticed it in way home but last couple days felt slight vibration at around 50 in the steering wheel it goes as accelerating no play leaks or weaps in the wheels at all they had tyres done before I got it and I found a receipt out for two wheel repairs one you can see it was hit relatively hard big lip on it wondering if Balancing is out or buckled rim any suggestions thanks just curious to why only just noticed it tho

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2020 21:15 - 18 Dec 2020 21:19 #231006 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Vibration
Hi,
Is the steering wheel moving (oscillation) at about 48mph or is it stationary and you can feel (not see) a vibration?
The Jimny is susceptible to steering wobble between 45 to 50mph, usually due to failing Kingpin bearings, but a vibration may be due to something else.
Just trying to clarify the symptoms.

But as you have potential wheel damage lift each front wheel and turn it by hand and check the tyre runs true on the rim. You can get damaged tyres / rims that are balanced, but the tyre tread does not run central, causing oscillation or vibration.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Dec 2020 21:19 by Scimike.

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2020 22:48 #231007 by Craigyh1990
Replied by Craigyh1990 on topic Vibration
The wheel moves with vibration yes I drive 80 miles back home when I got the car and was doing higher speeds and did not notice it at all sort of just come on a couple weeks I’ve had the car now

More
18 Dec 2020 23:05 - 18 Dec 2020 23:10 #231009 by Scimike
I guess it makes sense to get the wheels checked and balanced first, but if it's a 48mph vibration it's likely to be the kingpin bearings.
But start simple and check the suspension components, steering ball joints and wheels for any further unseen damage.

Don't know if you have seen this similar topic started by Helsey, does it sound like the same issue?
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...advice-wanted-please

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Dec 2020 23:10 by Scimike.

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2020 23:24 #231011 by Craigyh1990
Ok il have to get it looked at thanks for your reply I did have a little look at the link mines now and then comes and goes but around the 50mph marks is only time I have noticed it maybe that’s why I never noticed it before might be on there way out and doing it some times and not other times Im not hands on like that so would have to get a garage to sort it sound expensive from what reading up in the link you sent over

More
19 Dec 2020 00:08 - 19 Dec 2020 00:11 #231012 by Scimike
In the world of modern cars Kingpin bearings are not that expensive to fix. You are looking at about £50 per side in parts (Suzuki quality) and about 3 - 4 hours time to change both, maybe less if the garage is use to 4x4s. I appreciate that if cash is tight anything is expensive, but it's not a bad DIY job.
If it's very slight you can mask the wobble with a steering damper kit, about £60 from eBay and a very easy DIY fit, about 1/2hr with no special tools, just a few spanners.

Last edit: 19 Dec 2020 00:11 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Dec 2020 06:05 #231015 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Vibration
Not wishing to scaremonger but it is possible that an impact heavy enough to damage a wheel could have done deeper damage further into the suspension axle and mounting points. If funds allow I would suggest an intensive examination for damage and alignment by a suitable professional.

When Dreadnaught was hit by the motorbike that did a significant number on the front axle which wasn't found until a good while later when the kingpin bearing seats were found to be oval-shaped, well after the vehicle was passed off as repaired.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Craigyh1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2020 08:34 #231018 by Craigyh1990
Is this something that can just happen this king pin issue as I’ve had it few weeks and never noticed it before and drove a lot roads that there’s constant speed of 50 and never noticed it at all was smooth prior feeling this this week and when I got the car last month I come all the way back home motorway and never felt a single thing

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Dec 2020 08:43 #231021 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Vibration
Yes. Kingpins can be fine one week and not the next. Or they can get steadily worse over months. You may not register the defect at first but once you do you are looking for it all the time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Dec 2020 09:12 #231024 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Vibration
lf you've got a wheel with a significant dent in it, then replace it.
I assume they are steel wheels so won't be expensive.
lt may or may not be the cause of the fault, but my advice would be to replace the wheel anyway. You could even change it for the spare if it's the same wheel, and maybe get the tyre changed over.

More
20 Dec 2020 10:24 #231055 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Vibration
Mine has a slight wobble in the steering wheel, just below 50mph, but I only notice it on a smooth road and then only after a little while, like in the roadworks where everyone drives at 50.

Mine is probably king pins, I have just not got round to checking them yet.

I would be a bit concerned by the new tyres and wheel repairs, I wonder what happened? If they are steel rims, new rims are only around £40, if it was me I would replace them, just for peace of mind. It probably won’t do anything for the wobble, but I would be happier.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Dec 2020 11:35 #231056 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Vibration
Lots of large tyre outlets will have the equipment and expertise to carry out a steering and suspension diagnostics and the results should advise the owner as to possible damage. A heavy hit against a road kerb is the likely explanation for the damaged rim but shock damage throughout the hub is a possibility and not to be taken likely.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds