BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Pug TUD5 conversion plates

• Almai2222
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2020 01:09 #228278 by Almai2222
Pug TUD5 conversion plates was created by Almai2222
hi all,
Happy owner of an 04 Jimny, always wanted one, down sized from a Landcruiser, equally as capable off road which was a happy surprise.
Getting used to the quirks as im using it as my daily commuter (between hospitals in deepest darkest Wales) and the sheer neck breaking acceleration of the 1.3 (lol) is starting to irritate me, so looking to go back to a diesel.

After looking around at the options, considering everything from 1205 Kubota engines (skid steer diggers) to VW 1.9td, think ive settled on the Peugeot TUD5 lump (seems like more of straight forward old for new exchange, less body lift and steering rack extension).

Does anyone know of anyone making and selling adapter plates for this conversion, ideally I'd like to keep the standard Jimny gearbox (don't offroad much, the odd farmers hill, no greenlanes).

Also, has a 1.7sdi ever been tried? From the Lupo and Arosa, seems like a logical fit, stocky, short, but not sure on depth.

Thanks for any help, sorry if its been posted before, but the last one I could find was from 2017, so update needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2020 05:32 #228280 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
Welcome to the forum. Diesel conversion is not a particularly common thing and there's not been an active one on here in a while. Most people who want a bit more go swap the 1.3 for one of the bigger versions of the same engine so either the 1.5 or 1.6. On the continental side they produced the Jimny with a couple of Renault diesel engines but we were saved from those.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Sep 2020 06:04 - 17 Sep 2020 06:05 #228282 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
The TUD5 is a terrible choice. I've had a couple in 900kg Peugeot 106s and they were massively underpowered even for a tin can.
It makes less power and torque than the Jimny's 1.3 petrol, let alone one of the 1.6 petrol engines that are an easy and cheap swap.
Sounds like you need to let the petrol engine sing a bit and use it's full potential!
Last edit: 17 Sep 2020 06:05 by Busta.

• Almai2222
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2020 23:59 #228299 by Almai2222
Replied by Almai2222 on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
Hi all, cheers for the replies.
Seems its a case dig around for some different engine options as I dont want to faff with the suspension/axels as much as possible.

I have seen on YouTube of an interesting swap with an 1105 Kubota diesel 3 cylinder. seems to run well, and the torque isn't too different from the standard M13A, this was done with original gbox, some adaptation of the flywheel and engine mounts, so think ill head down this route, just means motorway trips need to be planned using a calendar :laugh: :laugh:

Will keep updated when I pull the trigger, cant be the only one wanting a torquey diesel jimny (even if it will move at a glacial pace)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Sep 2020 11:35 #228309 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
when was it last serviced? If it's lacking power it could just need a thorough service.

More
18 Sep 2020 12:35 #228312 by jackonlyjack
If you use facebook look here
www.facebook.com/groups/646389752148354/buy_sell_discussion

Pug,isuzu,vw all been done turbo and non turbo
I'm sure some of the guys sell kits also

More
18 Sep 2020 12:51 #228314 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
What is it you're hoping to achieve with the engine swap? You talk about the lack of acceleration from the 1.3, but then mention a number of diesel engines that have significantly less power. Acceleration is determined by the engine's power output, not what fuel it uses. In their standard application, fitted to tiny 900kg FWD cars, the 1.7SDI and 1.5TUD both achieve worse performance than your Jimny with its 1.3 petrol. You don't mention which Landcruiser you owned, but the Jimny 0-60 time is the same as a 4.2td Amazon and is not far behind a 3.0 D4D

Given that any engine swap is going to be expensive and involve lots of custom parts you might as well fit the best engine you can. It will cost you roughly the same to fit that 28hp Kubota engine as it will to fit a 130hp VW PD engine.

• Almai2222
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2020 22:49 #228325 by Almai2222
Replied by Almai2222 on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
Lambert - I've bought a decent Jimny, owner before me was ontop of the servicing, and as an engine, it runs well, but im just not a petrol fan, more my preference than the engine

Jackonlyjack - cheers for the info, ill check them out ASAP, someone who's done one before would be a massive help to learn any mistakes or issues to expect

Busta - Totally see your point, and where the contradiction comes in. As I said to Lambert, just not a petrol fan, much more comfortable working on diesels. And the toss up between low power with the 1.7sdi or 1.5 Pug I definitely agree would be comparable to the M13A, however, i live in the sticks, and need something that (should the proverbial manure hit the fan) I can have a better change of sorting one, and id take the better mileage at a power cost. Had the pre D4D 3.0, which whilst not blistering, had decent go, just veeery thirsty for what I used it for.
Cost wise: Kubota (1305/1505) roughly £1000, then a case of refab mounts, reposition starter to fit jimny box, reposition power steering pump, but of flywheel adjustment to fit and it sits very comfortably in a jimny (as has been shown on Youtube - and for a 1.1L, goes well). Not sure how that compares to the VAG 1.9tdi swap? I'd assume there's more cost to reposition certain anxillaries etc but a cheaper engine?

More
19 Sep 2020 08:11 - 19 Sep 2020 08:22 #228327 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Pug TUD5 conversion plates
Am I missing something, or has that Kubota engine only got about 30hp? That's about a third of the stock 1.3. The TUD5 is also down on both power and torque over the 1.3.

I think you'd be crazy to spend 4 figures swapping in such a puny engine simply due to a preference for diesel or as preparation for a SHTF scenario that has a miniscule risk of occuring. Go diesel by all means, but at least use an engine that's equivalent or better than the petrol unit you've got at the moment.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2020 08:22 by Gadget.

More
19 Sep 2020 08:34 #228328 by Old Neil
Were in rev range does the diesel produce it's power, original 1.3 is a high revving motor, wouldn't the gearing be all wrong

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 09:12 #228329 by Lambert
Very true. You wouldn't have a problem with torque. Or speed limits for that matter.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Sep 2020 09:38 #228330 by Lambert
Thinking about this more, I honestly believe that the best course of action is to just drive it as it is for a couple of months. Get used to it. I drove a 90 as a daily prior to my Dreadnaught and it did take a while to acclimatise my driving style, no more riding the turbo torque curve at 1500 rpm up hills etc. Instead it's a gear change and 3500 rpm. Not that it won't pull from 1000 rpm because it will and fully loaded with a trailer on too, admittedly Dreadnaught is not setting the world on fire towing a trailer but in fairness you shouldn't be trying to when towing anyway. As for ease of maintenance you'll struggle with reliability more with any engine conversion than sticking with something designed to be there in the first place. This is why the 1.6 swap is so popular, in all major respects they're the same engine just with more capacity so everything is in the same place and everything fits and is available easily.

I'm not saying don't do it I'm just not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds