BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

NEW model jimmy

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2020 09:55 #226968 by Halsey
NEW model jimmy was created by Halsey
Hi,
Is the new model materially different from say a 2013 model?
I appreciate price and design is different BUT is it any different on ride quality comfort etc - it looks to me as though it is fundamentally on the same chassis etc so probably not worth a change.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2020 11:46 #226974 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic NEW model jimmy

Halsey wrote: Hi,
Is the new model materially different from say a 2013 model?
I appreciate price and design is different BUT is it any different on ride quality comfort etc - it looks to me as though it is fundamentally on the same chassis etc so probably not worth a change.
Thanks

The interior of the new one is significantly better. Ride is pretty much the same. On road performance and fuel consumption are better. If you have the model with traction control then off-road they will be pretty similar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halsey

More
19 Aug 2020 13:21 - 19 Aug 2020 13:25 #226978 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic NEW model jimmy
l've driven the old model this morning (a 2005 Jimny) and have to say the new model is significantly better in terms of ride comfort, noise levels, performance and interior. Not that the old version is bad, just that the new version is much improved.

As for the looks well both versions have a following so it's whichever you prefer the look of.

However l am not sure if the new version is worth the £10,000+ it would probably cost you to change, if you have a perfectly good Gen 3.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2020 13:25 by lightning.

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 06:36 #227188 by Halsey
Replied by Halsey on topic NEW model jimmy
I think that's the issue overall that the price difference at the moment isn't justified - I'll wait till the "premium" value calms down and then have a look - I love my 13 plate as I have with the 4 before it starting with my SJ413 many years back
Cheers

More
23 Aug 2020 07:15 #227189 by Jimny-Phil
Replied by Jimny-Phil on topic NEW model jimmy

lightning wrote:
However l am not sure if the new version is worth the £10,000+ it would probably cost you to change, if you have a perfectly good Gen 3.

I changed to a Gen 4 from a 65 plate Gen 3 and even though I loved my Gen 3 (which I would have kept if the Gen 4 hadn’t been released, or I couldn’t have got hold of a Gen 4), I’m TOTALLY sure that it was worth the cost of the upgrade to the Gen 4

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halsey

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 07:27 #227190 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic NEW model jimmy
It was my original intention to trade in the old Gen3 for a new Gen3. With all sorts of unfathomable delays a Gen4 turned up. I had a change of heart and kept the 08 Gen3 (trading in something else). If I had owned a 16/17 car I wouldn't have bothered. £10,000 is a lot of money that you could happily spend elsewhere. Chris

More
23 Aug 2020 13:09 #227202 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic NEW model jimmy
There are no significant differences in the chassis and running gear. It's worth remembering that with any such comparison you are pitting an almost new car against one that has several years of wear and tear, so it's difficult to get a true like-for-like comparison.
Given the artificially high price difference I'd say you are better off investing money in what you have. Fit a 1.6 engine, some Bilstein dampers and a steering damper and your 2013 will feel like a new car for a fraction of the cost!

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2020 06:35 #227476 by Halsey
Replied by Halsey on topic NEW model jimmy
Hi,
I'm possibly up for a modification if it doesn't affect my insurance in any way.

I'm sure new (wheel) dampers won't so could you supply more detail please......and is this a standard well tested upgrade?

Is the steering damper also a replacement/upgrade or is this a mod?

More detail on this please

PLEASE don't be insulted by this next question but is this suggestion good general practice and widely adopted or just something you have done??

Thanks

More
29 Aug 2020 13:56 #227491 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic NEW model jimmy
l think it's the looks of the Gen 4 that have sold it to a lot of buyers.
Also the fact that it's more car-like to drive, so justifiable as an alternative to a generic hatchback

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds