BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen3 v Gen4 performance?

More
21 Jul 2020 07:45 - 21 Jul 2020 07:45 #225415 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
Yes above 3000 revs it comes to life and I think it is plenty fast enough for the type of car it is.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2020 07:45 by Soeley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2020 07:46 #225416 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?

300bhpton wrote:
Flat out the Jimny pretty much matches my V8 Range Rover to about 80-85mph.

I would get your Range Rover looked at :)

Our V8 Range Rover outperforms the Gen4 Jimny even when the Range Rover is pulling 3 tonnes of boat and trailer (although not on fuel consumption!)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Jul 2020 08:06 #225418 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?

mlines wrote:

300bhpton wrote:

Our V8 Range Rover outperforms the Gen4 Jimny even when the Range Rover is pulling 3 tonnes of boat and trailer (although not on fuel consumption!)

The Range Rover is fine. Was even on a rolling road dyno at the beginning of the year. It is slightly quicker than the Jimny. But I still wouldn’t call the Jimny slow.

The Ignis Hybrid I had the other week also felt no faster than the Jimny to around 80mph. And certainly didn’t pull anywhere near as well low down. Although I admit it did go better at higher speeds. Not really surprising considering the aero of the Jimny.

More
21 Jul 2020 08:20 #225419 by Reason2doubt

Busta wrote: You can't change gear at 3,000rpm and then complain the car is slow! It's a small petrol engine that makes peak power at around 6,000rpm, and it is designed to be driven accordingly. If you choose to only use a third of the available powerband of course it will be slow. Use it how it's designed to be used and it will be fine.

Take Busta's advice and just rev the nuts off it all the time. Sounds like solid advice for daily driving a Jimny... :lol: :lol:

More
21 Jul 2020 08:58 #225422 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
I base my comments on how I've daily-driven Jimny's for the last 7 years/80,000 miles. Is there something I'm missing?

More
21 Jul 2020 09:00 #225423 by Busta

mlines wrote:

300bhpton wrote:

I think you're talking about a different era of range rover ;)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jul 2020 17:45 #225435 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?

Reason2doubt wrote:

Busta wrote: You can't change gear at 3,000rpm and then complain the car is slow! It's a small petrol engine that makes peak power at around 6,000rpm, and it is designed to be driven accordingly. If you choose to only use a third of the available powerband of course it will be slow. Use it how it's designed to be used and it will be fine.

Take Busta's advice and just rev the nuts off it all the time. Sounds like solid advice for daily driving a Jimny... :lol: :lol:

I have been working on the same assumption as Busta for a hundred and five thousand miles. When they were inside the motor with the head gasket they said it looked virtually like new inside the cylinder bores.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2020 18:16 #225436 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
My last 2 cars were 2.2 turbo diesel's, I used to laugh a my wife's little slow Polo. Now she laugh's at my Gen4. My driving style has changed for the better. Power doesn't get you out of trouble. I'm up the gear box like a flash, no high revving. Just quick gear changes keeps me up with fast moving traffic. I feel like I AM driving the car not ridding in one.

More
21 Jul 2020 21:11 #225442 by 300bhpton
Well while I’m certain the new AT’s have blunted the performance a bit. I did manage to see 100mph on the speedo (private road). Which according to GPS was 96.3mph.

I think that was the speed limiter as it wouldn’t go any more than that. A shame the speedo seems to still be 3-4mph out at 60 and 70mph though :( I thought the 215/75’s would have had more impact in correcting it.

More
21 Jul 2020 23:05 #225444 by Busta
That's a good effort. On the flat my gen 3 will get to an indicated 90mph if I'm patient, but it won't get any higher without a hill to assist. (all whilst keeping it below 3,000rpm of course :whistle: )
Fitting 215/75 tyres put my speedo bang on until I changed the diffs, but the standard gen3 205/70 are slightly smaller than the 195/80 on the gen4 so that correlates with your findings.
I put a 1.6 in my previous Jimny and that was better, probably on a par with a gen4.

More
22 Jul 2020 15:26 #225462 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?

300bhpton wrote: Well while I’m certain the new AT’s have blunted the performance a bit. I did manage to see 100mph on the speedo (private road). Which according to GPS was 96.3mph.

I think that was the speed limiter as it wouldn’t go any more than that. A shame the speedo seems to still be 3-4mph out at 60 and 70mph though :( I thought the 215/75’s would have had more impact in correcting it.

I got mine up to 150kph when it was new, and then it tried to kill me. It developed a very disconcerting side to side wobble, so I never tried that again. Now it's lifted with 235's so absolute max is 140kph. The new shocks make it a lot more stable.

More
22 Jul 2020 15:39 #225463 by 300bhpton
Have to say it felt stable and planted. But it was a good smooth surface and wasn't windy out. Hadn't been quite that quick on the standard 195/80 tyres, but must have been within 5-8mph of the same speed.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds