BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Chinese Steel Bumpers: Installation

More
22 Mar 2020 22:00 #220164 by Rabid Rhino
X8GGY Cheers for the offer but next to my mates workshop is a global nuts n bolts supplier who lets us just get stuff once he's told us where they are.

AHTR...
2 holes on the right side dog leg bracket line up with 2 holes on the towing eye bracket.
But
There's only 1 hole on the left side dog leg bracket and it doesn't line up with anything. Did you drill any holes ?

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2020 22:20 #220165 by X8GGY

More
23 Mar 2020 00:00 - 23 Mar 2020 00:01 #220171 by ahtr

Rabid Rhino wrote: Missing a load of nuts and bolts from a torn open bag as the box was quite badly damaged.
Hopefully that's all I'm missing.
1 Dog leg bracket is on the car

What are the brackets below for & where do they go ?

I had no instructions. Drilled a few holes, just made it up as I went along, few extra bolts on the 'dog leg' brackets. Also where the 'dog leg' brackets bolt to the winch plate I drilled right through the chassis legs and bolted right through with some steel/spacers to strengthen it up.

The parts you've got left I just put in the scrap bin. The 2 bits on the left bolt onto the end of the chassis rails, then the winch plate is supposed to bolt to these using the big washers you have left. But like I said, I binned them and made up something myself as the fit wasn't great.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
Last edit: 23 Mar 2020 00:01 by ahtr.

More
25 Mar 2020 00:38 #220240 by Rabid Rhino
ahtr, you got any close up pics of the corners, front & side on at the arches ?

I can't get the ends to line up with the arches. I'm out by about 0.5" there and under the lights there's a similar 0.5" gap.
The bumper won"t go any further back because its hitting the front edge of the lower slam panel.
So the only solution I can see is trim 0.5" of the rear top edge of the bumper

Trim the 0.5" here

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2020 08:32 #220275 by Reason2doubt

ahtr wrote:

Rabid Rhino wrote: Missing a load of nuts and bolts from a torn open bag as the box was quite badly damaged.
Hopefully that's all I'm missing.
1 Dog leg bracket is on the car

What are the brackets below for & where do they go ?

I had no instructions. Drilled a few holes, just made it up as I went along, few extra bolts on the 'dog leg' brackets. Also where the 'dog leg' brackets bolt to the winch plate I drilled right through the chassis legs and bolted right through with some steel/spacers to strengthen it up.

The parts you've got left I just put in the scrap bin. The 2 bits on the left bolt onto the end of the chassis rails, then the winch plate is supposed to bolt to these using the big washers you have left. But like I said, I binned them and made up something myself as the fit wasn't great.

No instructions on mine either. Had some bits leftover but still couldn't think of where they could go so they got binned as well.

More
26 Mar 2020 08:33 - 26 Mar 2020 08:52 #220276 by Reason2doubt
I will get you some photos today as I need to do one of my essential food shops.

Edit: here you go - let me know if you want pictures of anything else!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 08:52 by Reason2doubt. Reason: Added photos

More
26 Mar 2020 13:33 - 26 Mar 2020 13:36 #220279 by Rabid Rhino
R2D 2 bolt holes on the righ side dog leg or just 1. I can't see clearly for all the underseal. Like it !!!! My dog leg has 2 that don't quite line up & are well over 1/2" from the side of the tow bracket.... Guess I'm missing a bunch of washers.
Do you have a pic of the left side dog leg ? Did it mount to anything ?
Yours is nice & tight against the body, which mine isn't but I'm trying to get there.

Are you noticing my Star Wars references with your user name ?

Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 13:36 by Rabid Rhino. Reason: Missed a bit

More
27 Mar 2020 10:11 #220310 by ahtr
I don't have any pictures but I spent an hour or so moving it around and drilling some new holes, trimming a few bits off, the fit ended up ok.

When I bought mine I accepted they're cheap bumpers knocked out of a factory in China that probably don't have the finest build tolerances.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

More
27 Mar 2020 10:23 - 27 Mar 2020 10:24 #220311 by Reason2doubt
I'll make a video for you today outlining all the bolts and what I did to make it fit etc.. (easier for me to upload that I think)

Yes haha loving the star wars references with my name :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 10:24 by Reason2doubt.

More
08 Apr 2020 04:37 - 08 Apr 2020 05:16 #220802 by Rabid Rhino
What the heck is wrong/different with my 1999 LHD soft top ?
After cutting 1/2" off the back side of the front bumper top the uprights now foul the leading edge of the lower spam panel. So more cutting needed to get it back enough for the corners to fit into the wheel arches.

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Apr 2020 05:16 by Rabid Rhino.

More
08 Apr 2020 05:30 - 08 Apr 2020 05:33 #220803 by Rabid Rhino
And then there's the rear bumper.....
The right side bracket lined up OK with the bumper but the left was out. So much so the bolts wouldn't go through.
The holes on the chassis bracket where the bumper holes overlapped were scribed.
There wasn't enough metal on the edge of the chassis bracket to extend the holes so the end plate was cut off and moved over 1/2"

So the left side finally fitted

But the right side was still out...

The reason... The corner strengthening plate for the spare carrier was hitting the corner of the body

Cut out a small piece of bumper and at last it fitted

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Apr 2020 05:33 by Rabid Rhino.

More
08 Apr 2020 05:34 - 08 Apr 2020 12:29 #220804 by Rabid Rhino
All in, this took a couple of days rather than a couple of hours on a vehicle with no bumpers on it to remove, so all installation.
Quality Chinese products.

Last edit: 08 Apr 2020 12:29 by Rabid Rhino.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds