BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

All Terrain Tyre Comparisons

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Mar 2019 16:03 #205100 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Thanks jimnyfox - it's amazing that these websites cannot even get their own information right!

Looking forward to hearing more about the tyres in due course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Mar 2019 12:23 #205133 by Guy 2
Another Cooper video on tread pattern that may be of use:

Hope I'm not 're-inventing the wheel' here (pun intended)!

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2019 16:22 #205371 by Guy 2
I keep sitting down, having a coffee, and going over yet another set of tyre reviews - I know, I should get a life!

Anyway, I came across the relatively recent-to-market (2017) Yokohama Geolandar MT G003 - and have come to the conclusion that if I were to consider a mud terrain (and that's a big 'if'), then these are really 'on the money' for me i.e. they are probably the most road-friendly of aggressive MTs whilst being super strong.

They are available in the UK as 215/75R15 100Q (restricted 99 mph), at a comparable price to the BFG KO2. Not only that, but they weigh 14.7 kg per tyre v 15.0kg for the BFGs, so there is nothing in it for unsprung weight. (I know you will hate that weight whatever the tyre, Lambert!)

All the same, I thought it might be an option for members of the forum looking for an aggressive tyre "to scare the neighbours". (Looking at them, I certainly think they would do that!)

The following is the best of the reviews - giving an honest update after 20,000 miles (albeit for what is obviously a larger version of the tyre).

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yokohama+mt...6DEFAA7946&FORM=VIRE

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 09:21 #205396 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
I have had General Grabber x3 Mt on mine for a while now used on A roads, B roads, motorway and I can't fault them, great road manners, only slightly more road noise than the Grabber AT great in the mud, I went to a pay and play the other weekend and had every weather under the sun. snow, rain, hail and on the way back on the motorway we had sleet so heavy the traffic was down to 30mph all in all I will be replacing these with another set when the time comes but looking at them this will be a few years yet ;)

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 10:58 #205397 by Guy 2
I think the x3 is another great option. Thanks Daniel 30.

Love to hear a further update in due course.

NB Being on the waiting list - having the opportunity to hear other people's experience is about the best bit!

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 11:47 #205398 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
This site: tyres.buycarparts.co.uk/yokohama-4968814938260-0y751509q
shows the Geolanders as being summer tyres. Is this true? The BFG KO2's have the mud and snow marking so just curious as to whether the Geolanders are similar.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 12:57 #205400 by Guy 2
The G003s don't have the 3 Peak mark - but then I don't know that any MTs do. Those reviewers who have used them in snow up to 10-12 inches seem to rate them. Also view the biting edges as good on ice. I think it's more a case of the Regulators not being geared up for mud tyres and/or not catching up with the latest tyre developments? For the UK I, personally, would think it worth the risk.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Apr 2019 13:02 #205401 by Lambert
All mud and most all terrain tyres are summer or occasionally all seasons as they don't have the full winter low temperatures compound rubber to get winter status. Doesn't mean that they don't work well in typical temperate winter conditions just that there are other tyres that work even better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 13:10 #205402 by Guy 2
Thinking about it, the manufacturer would have to apply for the 3 Peak mark and I guess they 'would if they could'. Thanks Lambert.

More
02 Apr 2019 18:22 #205424 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
My Yokohama G015 A/T have the 3peak mark - which is at least subject to some official scrutiny, unlike the M+S marking which isn't regulated at all. Nowhere near as effective as a true winter tyre, but having a 3peak mark does mean they offer some benefit in snow over standard summer tyres.

More
03 Apr 2019 08:04 #205451 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
AT's and MT's will have the edge in deep snow, winter rated road tyres will be better on compacted snow.

Tyre choice is always a compromise, even when budget is not an issue. Big knobbly mud tyres will work their way through snow like no winter tyre could, but put that same tyre on compacted snow or ice and they can be laughably ineffective.

My KO2's hold snow in the treads and this helps with traction over icy patches,

Trying to drive road tyres in 6" of snow wasn't a good idea for these guys, the truck got stuck trying to go around the car.

I drove up did a three point turn, bussed up and took them a couple of miles to safety.

Drivers have as big an impact as tyres, picking the right line is just as important and knowing your limits.....

sniper
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Apr 2019 09:04 #205452 by Lambert
I know this thread is about all terrain tyres but I'm going to have to advocate for the bfg urban terrain. Yes it is a road pattern but I'm on my second set now and they are essentially unstoppable in anything less than axle deep mud. Wet grass, win. Rock tracks, win. Slick clay, win. Typical British winter roads, win. Wet tarmac, win. Dry tarmac, win win win. In other words for use on a daily driver they own anything you're likely to come across. Ok they have limitations and they don't have the chunky aesthetic but they perform.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds