BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What to do next?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 May 2018 05:57 #192309 by Lambert
What to do next? was created by Lambert
I have a quandary. Having now got the suspension under something like control from the point of it no longer arbitrarily choosing to ricochet about like a rubber ball, I am now giving consideration to reducing the actual movement under dynamic loading. There's a couple of ways of doing this. First and most obvious to the uninitiated is to fit huge wheels and low profile tyres. This is not cheap with the rims and tyres coming in at significantly more than 250 pounds a corner. The benefit of this is it will look cool, improve turn in feel and braking stability. The disadvantages, it's abundantly clear that the car has been played with, the nvh transfer of low profile tyres is significant and it doesn't stop the body moving under weight transfer. The second option is harder springs. These are less than a fifth of the price for a set, and are totally stealthy. The advantage is less body movement which will have a benefit in turn in but nothing like the low profile tyres, flatter cornering, more efficient weight transfer for braking. Disadvantages there is a limit on how much ride quality having the majority of the compliance in just the tyre sidewall will give, the springs in question are not a direct fit and will need to modified to gain the correct ride height further stiffening them, having stiff suspension and relatively tall tyre sidewall profiles can induce uncontrollable bouncing under braking like a tractor.

Yes I know that the answer is to buy a 911 turbo and just drive it but I can't. Built not bought.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 May 2018 06:06 #192310 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic What to do next?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2018 07:01 #192311 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic What to do next?
What about a stiffer/bigger torsion bar? Or even torsion bar at the back. That should be relatively cheap and easy to do.

I've made mine a "quick disconnect" and since it has a sleeve for cca 15cm of its lenght, it is now notecabely stiffer.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 May 2018 07:26 #192312 by Lambert
I keep an eye open for a diesel sway bar but the last one i found would have been nearly 160 pounds with shipping from France!

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2018 09:19 #192315 by Mraz
Why not make your own?

Heat Treating SHOULD be fairly cheap and rest you can do yourself.

Something like this: www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-make-a-custom-sway-bar/

More
01 May 2018 09:38 #192317 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic What to do next?
Hi Lambert, I've just fitted new standard height KYB springs with superpro 15mm seats and there is very little true body roll.

You can feel it crank over as it lays the sidewall down when you turn in late but generally the sidewall flex is nice and predictable.

Before changing the ARB, try adjustable drop links and poly bush mounts, might save a few bob...

I've been struggling with the same problem as regards tyres, trying to get a 16 with a similar rolling circumference, 225/60 x 16 is what I've decided on, it's slightly smaller than the 215/75 I'm running now but slightly bigger than standard. These will be tarmac tyres so will have a significantly stiffer sidewall and hopefully, will nail the handling.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 May 2018 11:50 #192319 by Lambert
I like the idea of the adjustable drop links as by their construction they will have little or no flex in the stem unlike the factory ones. Tyre wise I am kinda set on 18s but only cos I can't find any 19s that are a direct fit. The other reason for the harder springs is not to carry more weight but to carry the current weight better while still maintaining standard height. But I don't want it to be like my old 90 that only rode properly with half a tonne in the back.

• Mraz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 May 2018 16:29 #192322 by Mraz
With adjustable drop links you can even change the stiffness of sway bar by mounting them forward a bit (drill holes inch or so closer to front end).

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds