BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Time to change the springs again?

More
27 Sep 2017 21:05 - 27 Sep 2017 21:06 #184592 by Busta
Remember that cutting coils off increases the stiffness of the spring too. You need to work out the spring rate you require and go from that. Buying springs and chopping bits off might get you the right ride height but if your spring rate isn't right you'll have a crap ride and no flex.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2017 21:06 by Busta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Sep 2017 04:29 #184597 by Lambert
I appreciate what you are saying about loosing flex and also increasing strain on other components but so far as it goes fdor my use 95% of it is on road and the rest is on terrain that for many years previously was conquered by subaru estate cars so it's not exactly taxing the ability of the suspension to keep the wheels down. Everything I carry in the Jimny is boxed and removable and for security is taken out every night but I have started to notice that the factory kit is getting rather tired, even empty it isn't quite as high at the back as it is at the front anymore and with even the basic daily kit it can occasionally find the bump stops if i forget about a speed bump. Like I said earlier i don't want to fill the back with a tonne of anything, I just wanted to stiffen it up so it is easier for it to carry what it does. Essentially if the maximum axle weight compressed the suspension an inch rather than down to thestops that has to be better?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Sep 2017 04:42 #184598 by Lambert
Dave, you could always ring up a professional like pi and get a quote from them. When I was at a show last year I was talking with them about this and they offer a service where you give them the car for a fortnight and tell them what you want from it and they come back with a full custom system. You pay for the initial r&d for the first kit then they refund that and you keep the kit at retail price. I didnt because I need the car for work not having a suitable alternative but you have the beige one?

More
28 Sep 2017 07:27 #184602 by Busta
11/60, I was referring to Dave's situation rather than yours. The easiest option for you would be to fit a pair of front springs on the rear.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Sep 2017 08:28 #184605 by Lambert
Which would make it look like a hotrod unless it was ballasted all the time. No, I will find some suitable springs to maintain the ride height but increase the load capacity.

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Sep 2017 08:46 #184606 by X8GGY

TomDK wrote: I'm quite sure you'll find the springs made of 14.5mm wire far too hard. On the TM springs, notice the difference in spring rate on the equal length springs, going from 12mm to 13mm 26 N/mm vs 40 N/mm. The 3" lift springs are very hard compared with all other springs i've tried.

Busta wrote: Remember that cutting coils off increases the stiffness of the spring too. You need to work out the spring rate you require and go from that. Buying springs and chopping bits off might get you the right ride height but if your spring rate isn't right you'll have a crap ride and no flex.

Hmmm, I think I'll stick with what I've got for now then...

Thanks for all the comments! ;)

More
28 Sep 2017 10:20 #184608 by Busta
11/60, it won't like a hotrod. I've done it on 2 jimnys now and it lifts the rear by about 30mm.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Sep 2017 11:04 #184610 by Lambert
Hmmm. I will think about it.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds