BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Pointers please towards a gentle intro to green laning and off roading.

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2017 06:28 #183607 by fowleronline
Again, thanks. 11/60 your points actually have my view down to a tee. I will spend 99% of my time on road, and some on land where I shoot. My mods will reflect that, and I appreciate it is already a very capable unit which is why I bought it above others. The tyres will be changed as they don't have a lot of life left in them, and while the choice is wide and opinion varied, I rather fancy the Kumho KL71's as a good all rounder, (that will also look good). Roof mounted lights and a couple at the back would be useful too. I thought my list was fairly basic and doable without going silly.
At this time, I do not see myself doing anything that would push the limits of a standard Jimny, except maybe to add an extra couple of inches of ground clearance if I find I would benefit from it. My idea of green laning is more unmetalled roads rough tracks, than river beds and swamps!
Something I am curious about... I see quite a few Jimnys with Snorkels fitted, which do look really cool, but what are the water thresholds for the car? How deep can it be before it gets into the cabin or compromises the standard air intake - I'm thinking more of localised flooding which we get a lot of (allowing for sensible speed etc etc)
Thanks again.
Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Aug 2017 07:31 - 24 Aug 2017 07:45 #183610 by Lambert
The biggest problem with water is not it getting into the engine so much as front swivels and rear drums and elsewhere and drastically reduced lifespans of things like bearings and brake shoes, essentially increasing your running costs and down time.flòod water has a lot of particulate matter that acts as an abrasive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 24 Aug 2017 07:45 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fowleronline

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2017 16:16 #183623 by 1066Boy
A mate of mine had a full blown comp truck but it got too easy. He sold it and bought an old SJ and now has more fun. :)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Aug 2017 16:33 #183626 by Lambert
That is precisely the same issue I was having with my subarus, yes I could outrun just about everything but it wasn't me doing it so much as it was the car, whereas in the Jimny if I'm hanging on to evos and exige and bmw coupes in the twisties that isn't so much the ability of the car as it is the skill of the driver. It does of course help that every other driver thinks that Jimny is a slow old heap when its not.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2017 17:00 #183629 by 1066Boy
What the hell have you done to your jimny? Not being rude but if you keep up with Evo's they are crap drivers. :)
Good luck to you if you fancy trying to keep up with me in my Civic.

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Aug 2017 17:52 #183636 by rappey

fowleronline wrote: except maybe to add an extra couple of inches of ground clearance if I find I would benefit from it.

Something I am curious about... I see quite a few Jimnys with Snorkels fitted, which do look really cool, but what are the water thresholds for the car? How deep can it be before it gets into the cabin or compromises the standard air intake

Adding inches is to get larger tyres on so increases ground clearance under the diffs.. Just raising it wont give any more ground clearance..
As for water, its about how you go through it, or how the vehicle coming the other way does..
Driving through water creates a bow wave, turning a foot deep into something driven fast enough to easily get into the air intake... The snorkel eliminates that possibility..
Ive gone through water that was nearly level with the bonnet, got out the other side and not a drop got into the cabin, but something i dont really want to do again as the grit gets into everything and destroys it..

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Aug 2017 18:12 #183638 by Lambert
Never in a straight line that goes without saying, but on bumpy twisties like the Dales have in abundance big power is not really any use as there isn't the space to use it and due to the gearing a Jimny is remarkably quick to 30.

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2017 09:32 #183828 by fowleronline
You were right - no mods required, a very capable car as standard... still needs new tyres though!
Attachments:

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2017 17:19 #183892 by fowleronline
Well, as mentioned I tried a green lane a few days ago and really enjoyed it.
Only about a mile, ending at the coast, but as night fell, I came back in darkness.
Best of it was, having gone to the back of beyond, knowing the lane existed, and travelling along it... I got to the end and found a TD5, a 4x4 pickup and a Vitara!!! The lad with the Vitara had just got it and was giving it a try out.
The path to the beach had become a vertical drop so summoning up all our courage, we bravely.... turned round and went back.

Anyway... I I just went on the council website to have a look for more of these BOATs (I had never heard the term before) and found that there were there available on line. They also made liberal use of red and green to distinguish one from the other.
Do they not realise that 7% of the male population is red/green colour blind???
I am going to need an interpreter. :sick:

• Tom1357
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2017 08:48 #183903 by Tom1357
Best advise I would say is always go out with someone, someone who can pull you out if needed and visa versa.

Larger tyres are good to bring the diff's up off the floor.

Mine was amazingly capable as standard, on good road tyres and arguable more fun.

Maybe start with some good recovery points, as boring as it sounds spending on them, most people leave these until last and when they're stuck it's made very hard to help them out then.

• fowleronline
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2017 11:28 #183926 by fowleronline
Good points Tom, thanks. I had a plan B, - the lane was on the edge of a farm owned by a friend so he did have big toys if necessary.
Although I don't really plan off doing much off, I will be in and around fields so it's always a possibility. What do you suggest as tow points - my wife suggests my neck would be a good place to start!!
I like the standard steels, and will upgrade them with colour coded fresh paint one day. What tyres would you suggest - I will be 99% on road?
Cheers
Martin

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2017 11:38 #183927 by Daniel30
General grabber AT would get my vote :)

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds