BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Cat Inards removal.

• Paul0283
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2017 22:19 #176288 by Paul0283
Jimny Cat Inards removal. was created by Paul0283
Hi all,
Apologies if this topic has been already covered. I have a 2012 Jimny, which I've owned for about 7months. Recently, it's developed a rattle from the forward Cat. I'd considered ordering a new Cat to replace it, until I read a few posts regarding Cat removal. Can anyone tell me if I can remove the inards from the front Cat without adversely affecting the car please? I've seen various references to fault lights coming on with no Cat fitted. It'd be really handy if, besides sorting the rattly Cat, I gained a little more oomph in the process. Also, can anyone tell me if removal of the front Cat inards renders the car an MOT failure please? Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2017 07:51 #176296 by skywalker65
Took the exhaust manifold cat out on my 06 model as it was breaking up. I've still kept the other cat further down the system. No probes re mot emission test or EML issues. No real difference in performance.
Regarding MOT. If you have a standard looking exhaust system and it passes the emissions test then I don't think they'd be that bothered. They won't take your exhaust system apart just to see if there's a convertor installed

If in doubt ...... Flat out ??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul0283

More
06 Jan 2017 15:18 #176312 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Jimny Cat Inards removal.
rather than the CAT failing I would check if the CAT heat shield is broken. This usually corrodes through on one of the spot welds and then buzzes and rattles.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Paul0283
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2017 16:03 #176315 by Paul0283
Replied by Paul0283 on topic Jimny Cat Inards removal.
I'll check that as soon as the rain stops. Cheers

• Paul0283
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2017 16:05 #176316 by Paul0283
I'll check the Cat heat shield, as suggested by mlines below, before I delve any deeper. Thanks

More
06 Jan 2017 17:27 #176324 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny Cat Inards removal.
I doubt the original CAT has failed after just 5 years. I believe Suzuki employed a team of crack engineers to design them to fail at a similar time to the crank pulley and the crank position sensor, which is 80,000 miles or 12 years.

• Paul0283
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2017 16:06 #176570 by Paul0283
Just had a look under the Jimny, while the missus revved it up. Quickly found the culprit; a loose heat shield on the rear CAT. I've now fastened it securely with some copper wire from a set of old meter tails. Cost £00.00...result! Thanks Martin
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds