× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

"Mild" off-road plans for Jimny commuting and playing - Opinions welcome :)

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Nov 2016 21:26 #174444 by Venter
Keithy, Redacted some time back replied to a question of mine regarding full time 4wd. Apparently the Lada Niva transfer box has a central diff as part of it, so if you install one of them you have a beefed up t-box (built Russian tough!) which can also be 'lobsterised'. All you need to do is fab new mounts for the t-box, nothing major at all, and he had a couple Niva t-boxes lying around his workshop at the time.

I'd reckon that uprated half-shafts and CVs are a must for the conversion though.

This is very high up on my list of things to do, just waiting for my lotto numbers to come in, I've got a feeling they'll be this week...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2016 21:40 #174446 by Keithy
Thanks for the info....and I hope your lotto numbers come in for ya!

I passed a couple of Niva's for sale a few weeks back.... £550 each.....If you win the lotto you can buy me one! :D

Thanks for the info Venter
File Attachment:

More
11 Nov 2016 09:09 #174498 by Bosanek
Installing turbo to an engine and installing a transfer box from a different vehicle definitely ain't "mild" any more, even with double quotes applied.

:)

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2016 13:29 #174504 by NickR
When I bought a Jimny and joined this forum, I did not expect to find any threads about turbocharging the thing :) It had never crossed my mind to do anything other than make it play off-road.

Mind you (and this will date me), "turbo" to me conjures up images of cars with big go-faster graphics down the side, perfectly decently-powered petrol engines that just wanted "mooorree pooowwweeerrr" (Copyright Top Gear), and lag that needed to be planned ahead for! From the days when you could hear the turbo whistle from inside the car. It is more likely now to mean something added to a car to make up for it being a diesel, or having cylinders removed.

Disclaimer : the motoring world may have moved on in the last few decades, but I am struggling to catch up. Go easy on me :) :)

Having said that, I doubt I will ever get round to that sort of "non-mild" thing anyway, but, hey, it's nice to dream :)

Nick

More
11 Nov 2016 16:22 #174509 by Keithy
Many things have moved on Nick.

In the "olden days" fitting a turbo meant having to reduce the compression ratio and massive amounts of work to get the ignition to not destroy the engine.

Nowadays you can type your ignition timing into the map along with the fuel and it's so so easy.

No loss of torque low down in the modern age..With a really light right foot you wouldn't know the turbo was there..knock detection is sweet....as is wideband lambda.

I think I'll go to an M16A with VVT next...that's how it escalates! :D

If Hillary had won the US election I'd have stuck with the M13A and built a fallout shelter B)

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2016 07:16 #174558 by NickR
I hear you, Keithy!

I work in automotive (not in the detail of engine design and fuelling), so I have moved on in mind, but stuck in the "olden days" in spirit :)

I think that is one reason why the Jimny appeals. I can work on and under it on my drive with my daughter and simple tools. In contrast, my Octavia has a MIL light on at the moment for a sticky inlet manifold flap/actuator (probably gummed up from EGR), but the amount of removal/disassembly just to get access to it to clean it means that I lazily just wiggle the external actuator by hand, clear the codes, and it is good for a few more weeks.

I do still like the sound of a turbo. My Octavia's is virtually silent. The Saab Aero it replaced sounded great - allegedly the turbo sound inside the cabin was considered while they designed it!

The snag with my escalation path is that it quickly gets to a point where a garage to work in would be handy, and that means a new house :)

I hadn't thought to use Clinton/Trump as a justification for spending on the Jimny - nice :)

Nick

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2016 22:16 #174708 by Young Pretender

Bosanek wrote: 4.
Install axle breathers. They are dead simple to install. Just buy 1/2" internal diameter good quality rubber hose (approx 6-7 m of length) and a few good quality metal screw-tight straps for hoses. Remove factory breather caps from the axle differential housings and put on the rubber hoses, and tighten the metal straps on the connection point. Lay the hoses through the underbody, in the engine bay, up to the bonnet height, avoiding hot surfaces. You do not even strictly need a "T" hose connector, as each hose can go independently up to the top. Tie the hoses with plastic strap ties.
I would recommend this mod even if you do not intend to wade, just for the peace of mind, as I have found water in my front differential even without ever going through a water deeper than 15 cm. I suspect that the splashing effect contributed to water ingress through the factory breathers. That's why I installed hoses.

Hi Bosanek,

Thanks for you posts here and the in the wiki, I'm finding them very useful.

Question re your point (4) if I may. I'm reading that the transfer box and gbox also have breathers so wondering why it isn't mentioned that these should also be extended in the same fashion. Is it that it isn't possible to reach these with the boxes in place?

I note from peoples signatures that the diff breathers are quite popular but haven't noted anyone that's extended the g/transfer box breathers. Do people just accept some water ingress and do regular oil changes with these instead?

Cheers
Mark

More
28 Nov 2016 10:57 #175018 by Bosanek
I did not mention transfer box and gearbox breathers for two reasons:

1. They are much more complicated to install than axle differential breathers, because they require dismounting the gearbox and the transfer box in the process.
2. Gearbox and transfer box sit higher compared to the axles (and are much less likely to get splashed by water from running wheels), and there is a lot less chance of getting their tops in contact with water, except for really boggy offroading.

So, I would advise to install breathers on the gearbox and transfer box only at the same time when you have to dismount them anyway for some other work.
On the other hand, if you venture so seriously off road that you need them immediately, then you probably have many more things to modify on the car anyway, and you know the name of the game ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Young Pretender

More
15 Dec 2016 16:12 - 16 Dec 2016 19:16 #175690 by Bosanek
I am informing the public that I have finished all my additions to the Wiki article about tyre sizes, models and best usage practices.

The article is located here:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Tyr...age_-_best_practices

I have also finished my additions to the article about improving and modifying a Jimny for mixed on-road and off-road use:
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Imp..._and_all_terrain_use

I consider both articles to be 98% finished, as far as I am concerned.

Part of the content of the first article is replicated in the second article.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2016 19:16 by Bosanek. Reason: Link correction

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2016 17:43 #175694 by 1066Boy

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2016 07:08 #175705 by NickR
An excellent write-up - your hard work is much appreciated (and read)! :)

More
16 Dec 2016 08:48 #175706 by mlines
On the subject of turbo charging, the earlier Mini (BMW built, not the classic) had superchargers fitted. A simple upgrade to the Mini was to fit a bigger supercharger so you do come across the smaller supercharges on Ebay. There have been a number of projects to fit these to Suzuki M13 series engines. The advantage of a supercharger is the wider rev range across which the power is available. A turbo charger makes the power more "peaky" which is not what you want for off-roading.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds