BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New member checking in

• Will145
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2013 20:26 - 20 Dec 2013 20:37 #96982 by Will145
New member checking in was created by Will145
Hi all

Thought I'd introduce myself - Will from Northants

I had always wanted a LR defender but ruinous running costs and the LR reliability rep + the cost of a goodun put me off! So I pondered what else was out there and then I remembered I had always really liked the look of the Jimny.
With a lot of research on this site and a lot of ignoring the on road reviews I set off on a 35 mile trip to view a potential purchase. The test drive was as expected, a bouncy, slow experience (especially downsizing from a 3.0 cdi V6 merc) but I loved it - the Jim has character - which the merc did not!.

So the potential purchase - a garaged 2003 J with 38k on the clock, 1 granny owner from new and the only rust was a small patch under the wheel jack. Also the exhaust back box will need replacing soon, it's a bit corroded and has a tendency to whistle under acceleration. The test drive also revealed minimal death wobble (intermittent although not much of an issue yet). 12 months clean MOT and a service. A deal was struck and a few days late I picked up the beast!

The salesman called me a f**king nutter for switching from a Merc to a tonka toy (his words).

Anyway I got my Jim home, changed the ancient stereo for a new one then booked it into Rustmaster to protect its sound underside.
I actually saw that another member had had his Jim treated so saw it as an investment + I don't have the space, time, equipment or patience to rustproof it myself. But Micheal at rustmaster was very good and thorough.

So there you are, I've racked up 300 bouncy miles since I took ownership a week ago and love it! Even if my friends call it a barbie mobile.....

No mods planned. Is the exhaust back box easy to change for someone mostly inept with spannering? I've also ordered some new kingpin bearings from the shop as inevitably they may be need changing at some point.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2013 20:37 by Will145. Reason: Mistakes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2013 21:12 #96994 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic New member checking in
Welcome this fine forum Will it’s good to have you join us, great way to start on the Jimny & you bought the correct colour ................ ;)

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2013 23:46 #97006 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic New member checking in
Welcome, :) .

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2013 01:36 #97012 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:New member checking in
Welcome :-D

It was I who had it done. I need to book my free top up at Rustmaster as I have scraped a load off in places off roading :-)

More
21 Dec 2013 12:12 #97033 by Grasshopper
Replied by Grasshopper on topic New member checking in
Welcome Will

Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Interesting your comments about Jimny having chararcter unlike the MB. I used to work for the heavy truck side of Mercedes Benz and prefered to run an older model company car because it had character and you felt you were driving quality engineering. Then the accountants got their way and the passenger cars became faceless.

Jimnys are all real characters. LOL

The only benefit of age is experience.

More
21 Dec 2013 15:35 #97056 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic New member checking in
Looks like you got a nice one there!

I would go to Rustmaster if I ever bought another Jimny but would take them a standard Jimny as they cover far too much stuff - do they need to do the shock absorbers really! Then the bits they've covered that I think they ought not I would be replacing with modified parts anyway!

You got the right colour anyway - much superior to any other colour!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
21 Dec 2013 15:59 #97058 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic New member checking in
Nice to see you on the forum Will.

Nice colour, my second preference after gold. :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2013 17:09 #97066 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic New member checking in
Welcome to the forum seems you've bagged yourself a goodun. :)

• Will145
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2013 18:38 #97077 by Will145
Replied by Will145 on topic New member checking in
Thanks for the welcome guys, you all seem like a friendly bunch. I've already picked up so much info here from lurking!

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2013 19:10 #97082 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic New member checking in

kirkynut wrote: Looks like you got a nice one there!

I would go to Rustmaster if I ever bought another Jimny but would take them a standard Jimny as they cover far too much stuff - do they need to do the shock absorbers really! Then the bits they've covered that I think they ought not I would be replacing with modified parts anyway!

You got the right colour anyway - much superior to any other colour!

Kirkynut

I asked them to mask my shocks and they did, more than happy to do so.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• jimothy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Dec 2013 21:17 #97104 by jimothy
Replied by jimothy on topic New member checking in
Welcome to the best forum for the Jimny. believe me I have only been a member for a few weeks and these guys have been a real helpful bunch. Enjoy your jimny looks like a nice clean example.
Regards Jim
Attachments:

• jonathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Dec 2013 10:04 #97141 by jonathan
Replied by jonathan on topic New member checking in
welcome Will great choice i down sized to from a 3.0l diesel ,i find my Jimny much better , and i had it rust proofed before delivery ,it was a year old yesterday so i done its first service

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds