BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

what welder

• JerseyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 15:28 #96142 by JerseyJimny
what welder was created by JerseyJimny
What's your budget?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JerseyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 16:03 #96147 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic what welder
An inverter would be best then....

Sealey
Carke
SIP

all good makes for a diy welder

And an inverter means you can also use it to TIG with a gas bottle

• greenjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 18:14 #96187 by greenjimny
Replied by greenjimny on topic what welder
any 150 / 185 amp mig is well capable of that mate B) the trouble sometimes is getting them low enuff to weld panels :S

• JerseyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 19:13 #96202 by JerseyJimny
Unless you have been trained in the use of MIGs i wouldn't recommend a MIG

Its very easy to think you have a nice strong weld to only fall apart under load

Stick (Or MMA) welding is alot easier to create a strong weld and as long as the weld hasnt got massive chunks of slag in it you know you have a strong weld

MIG is too deceptive especially when your doing structural work like roll

• greenjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 19:39 #96212 by greenjimny
a mig is a better all rounder (easy to use in tight spaces and capable of welding anything ) and lets be fair the welder is only as good as the person using it !

if your competent /confident with a certain type of welder then thats what you shld be using :)

• JerseyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 19:49 #96216 by JerseyJimny
The only point i am trying to prove is that if your self taught (not knowing yours or Mystics welding training) then you might be producing what you think might be a strong weld but is in fact simply sitting on the surface of the metal

Like this example of a MIG Weld that has been X-Ray Tested....

As you can see it may of looked a good strong weld from the outside but it hasnt even fused with the bottom plate!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 20:22 #96242 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic what welder

JerseyJimny wrote: The only point i am trying to prove is that if your self taught (not knowing yours or Mystics welding training) then you might be producing what you think might be a strong weld but is in fact simply sitting on the surface of the metal

As you can see it may of looked a good strong weld from the outside but it hasnt even fused with the bottom plate!

It is just as easy, if not easier for an unskilled welder to make a weld like that with a stick welder.

I myself is not in way skilled at welding. But I use both welders from time to time. I know when a welding is good and when it's gone bad. And I can say it's much easier to make and durable and good welding with a MIG welder, than with a stick welder. For me, the main concern when welding with MIG, is getting it set up properly.

• JerseyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 20:41 - 15 Dec 2013 20:44 #96250 by JerseyJimny

TomDK wrote: It is just as easy, if not easier for an unskilled welder to make a weld like that with a stick welder.

Not true...

Trust me its ALOT easier to make a weld like above with a MIG welder....

Like i said before (and hopefully other skilled welders will agree) that with stick welding it will be obvious that you have made a f*&k up of the weld due to massive slag inclusions

Example

MIG

May look like this on the surface

But looks like this internally

Where MMA (Stick) you know the differnce between bad and good....

Good

BAD

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/attachments/box-inside-1-5mm-jpg.15882/

Most welders learn how to weld using stick first as it is alot easier to mess up and its easier to notice your mistakes and where your going wrong...

Like above.... I would say not enough amps and the arc gap is too long
Last edit: 15 Dec 2013 20:44 by JerseyJimny. Reason: Picture didnt work

• greenjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 20:43 #96251 by greenjimny

TomDK wrote:

JerseyJimny wrote: The only point i am trying to prove is that if your self taught (not knowing yours or Mystics welding training) then you might be producing what you think might be a strong weld but is in fact simply sitting on the surface of the metal

It is just as easy, if not easier for an unskilled welder to make a weld like that with a stick welder.

I myself is not in way skilled at welding. But I use both welders from time to time. I know when a welding is good and when it's gone bad. And I can say it's much easier to make and durable and good welding with a MIG welder, than with a stick welder. For me, the main concern when welding with MIG, is getting it set up properly.

+1 ..

correct wire speed gas flow and most imoprtantly clenliness is the key to mig welding !

when your used to using a mig you can judge how well the thing is welded .... the most promenent way is the heat penetration pattern that follows the weld .

if its glowing red hot its done lol

• JerseyJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 20:55 #96253 by JerseyJimny
But with out any training how are you ment to know when you have the correct settings?

I am not preaching about something i dont know

I am qualified in MMA (overhead) TIG (Vertical Up) and MIG (Vertical up) and my tutor says MIG is THE hardest process to pass on due to the nature of it disguising any lack of penetration etc etc

More
15 Dec 2013 20:57 #96255 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic what welder
I whould agree arc is alot easyer I use mig arc and tig but love going back to arc when I can very easy to weld with and not alot of setting up as your half the controls. Mig is all about setting the welder up right and knowing your weld but whould say welding steel with tig once set up is tge easyest and neatest way of welding

JIMNYLESS

• winter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2013 21:00 - 15 Dec 2013 21:10 #96258 by winter
Replied by winter on topic what welder
what a load of shit some people talk
plus befor you say anything im a coded welder in all welding techniques and have been for 15 years now! o and iv seen your welding on ya bumper nice not lol lol lol lol lol

JerseyJimny wrote: Unless you have been trained in the use of MIGs i wouldn't recommend a MIG

Its very easy to think you have a nice strong weld to only fall apart under load

Stick (Or MMA) welding is alot easier to create a strong weld and as long as the weld hasnt got massive chunks of slag in it you know you have a strong weld

MIG is too deceptive especially when your doing structural work like roll

Last edit: 15 Dec 2013 21:10 by winter.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds