BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

wheel, tyre size, make!!!

• foggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 16:10 #94787 by foggy
wheel, tyre size, make!!! was created by foggy
Forum Buddies,

This could throw a spanner in the works but here goes! :P

At present I have stock 205/70/15 on as they come steel wheels. I will end up doing about 80 road and 20 green laning, but I would like to beef up my jimny. So my questions are:

1. Do I stick with 205's or go next size up?
2. AT's or MT's?
3. Make of tyre?
4. Should I use wheel spacers to push tyres out further or will off set wheels do the same thing?

I may end up doing a 2 inch lift (when I look more into it), dont know how much that effects the size of tyres..

As always guys thanks a lot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 16:45 #94795 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
The decider between at's and mt's should be down to what the lanes you drive are like, if they get really muddy get mt's.

ive got kumho kl71 and there brilliant offroad and pretty good on road.

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 18:22 #94803 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
I went for mt's and I'm glad I did after some of the lanes I've been down. I think at's would have got me in ok but getting out would have been a different matter.

They aren't to bad on the road, better than I was expecting, but mine aren't such an aggressive tread pattern as most of the insas.

Bigger tyres=more clearance but will make it sluggish pulling away! personally I went bigger and I'm glad i did, with 235/75 I would say its still very drivable on road but wouldn't want to do hundreds of miles on them. If you went 195/80 I dare say you wouldn't notice to much difference, any difference would be from the tread pattern as apposed to the size.

A Lift will give you more clearance to fit bigger tyres but if you go for 195/80 or 215/75 I believe they will fit standard jimny anyway depending on year, so won't effect things when you do lift it ;)

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 18:37 #94805 by jonesyba420
I run 195 80 mud tyres with no lift and no issues.

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 18:52 #94807 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
I got malatesta MTs and pleased I did after pondering ATs and MTs, seem fine on road to me, I didn't mind the noise and now I'm so used to it i don't notice. Plus it's been wet and muddy as when I've been offroad, anything not on MTs pretty much had no chance....cause won't be like that all year, maybe? I heard remoulds are good as the tread is deeper but I've only had remoulds so can't compare.

As for size the bigger you go the more you alter the gearing so you might want to get a rock lobster transfer box, which are a great mod for both off and on road, but not cheap.

I went for 195s first off but feel their too small so getting 215/80s, also stronger half shafts and cvs, again from what I've been told any bigger than 215s and your risking breaking things which kinda defeats the point of MTs if you don't feel you can give it a propper go cos a cv may go, again big knobbly tyres run the risk of suddenly gripping a tree root when spinning and snapping a half shaft.

That said ive seen folks on here with bigger and they do look the bizz, I'm jealous of them but I don't have a trailer for the jimny and always hope to drive it home, Lanes aren't often that demanding though I guess so you may well be fine and dandy with 235s, just don't be too aggressive on the pedal.

If you get a lift get spacers, easy mod and not so pricey, you'll appreciate the improvement.

More
06 Dec 2013 21:45 #94842 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!

foggy wrote: Forum Buddies,

This could throw a spanner in the works but here goes! :P

At present I have stock 205/70/15 on as they come steel wheels. I will end up doing about 80 road and 20 green laning, but I would like to beef up my jimny. So my questions are:

1. Do I stick with 205's or go next size up?
2. AT's or MT's?
3. Make of tyre?
4. Should I use wheel spacers to push tyres out further or will off set wheels do the same thing?

I may end up doing a 2 inch lift (when I look more into it), dont know how much that effects the size of tyres..

As always guys thanks a lot.

Go one size up if keeping to no lift. You can usually go to 215 75 15 with no mods.

Wheel spacers give you the chance to take them off if you don't like the way they present. I like wider rims myself, I know others don't agree but I think a wider tyre sits better as there is less wall flexing though I like enough sidewall to stop rims being grazed. Also I have the standard rims standing by if I want them on.

AT's might be better if you are a road runner like me.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
06 Dec 2013 22:38 #94858 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
1) The next size up or 195/80/15's
2) MT's if you plan on laning. It would be nice if we could get by on AT's but it ain't so
3) Depends on your wallet as for remoulds or new and which tread patterns you like Bfg cost alot but last longer
4) Offset wheels do the same thing but you don't need to do it. You may think it looks good though

These are my thoughts on each of your questions.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 23:01 - 06 Dec 2013 23:03 #94868 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
Depending on what the 20% of off roading will be, depends on the tyre you want.

If your only going to be doing pay and plays, get a cheap set of wheels and some cheapo remould mud tyres. Just stick them on for P&P's.

If your mostly going to be laning, most of the time you don't need mud tyres ( in my experiance, i'm sure somone will pipe up and tell me i'm wrong).

Also how many road miles are you going to be doing?

If you do a fair amount of road miles i'd get BFG AT's because they act like road tyres, give good grip in the wet and have loads of mileage potential.
The smallest size they come in is 215/75r15. I initially went for 2" spring blocks with these tyres.

EDIT: I've just seen that your laning for the 20% ... My bad.

I'd have offset wheels over wheel spacers just because spacers look weak to me.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2013 23:03 by iloveics.

More
07 Dec 2013 06:50 #94884 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
My experience of having 2 sets of wheels & tyres is that it gets tiring (pun intended) swapping them over, even with an electric torque gun. So the result is you don't and you leave the MTs on all the time, wasting the money spent on toad tyres.

You WILL need MTs for laning at some point. I know you shouldn't but the fact is you do. Experience tells me this. It's not necessarily because of 4x4 use either. Farmers use lanes in tractors & make them muddy. ATs don't have very deep tread or as good ability to clear mud out of the tread so end up being slicks quickly. You then look more of a hooligan wheel spinning along flicking mud up everywhere.

I'm not setting out to try to prove you wrong iloveics, just passing on my experience.

My Malatesta Kaimans are a little (far too) extreme for laning but I have them now from my p&p days & money doesn't grow on trees to get more! However, putting what they look like to one side, if I don't wheel spin on a lane & get through with as much ease as the farmer in his tractor, am I doing less harm to the ground? I think so.

You don't want extreme patterned MTs for your mainly road use though. Something like BFG MTs, MAXXIS BUCKSHOTS,INSA TURBO DAKARS etc would be fine.

I would get a popular brand & pattern to be sure you can replace two when only two are worn, or one when it gets damaged etc. You don't want a mission finding a matching replacement.

I think there is noise legislation hitting remoulds in 2015, so for the above reason it may pay to get a new, first generation tyre.

Kumho KL71's are a good new MT that are good on road & off, are reasonably priced, quiet and always available.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2013 07:09 #94886 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!

foggy wrote: 1. Do I stick with 205's or go next size up?

I guess it also depends on the year of your Jimny, as the newer 2005 and after models had a different front bumper which I believe needs trimming for 215's.

I run 215 BFG AT2's on a 2003 and there's no clearance issues. All stock apart from that.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Dec 2013 07:50 #94888 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic wheel, tyre size, make!!!
Personally if you're not doing much off road I would keep the stock size tyres. I would avoid the stock duelers like the plague for anything but road work. I have inherited a pair on the front of ours and they are pants, to the point that the infinity 200's on the back feel like they are doing all the work even in 4x4. With a couple of bits of armour underneath and a sensitive approach I don't think a jimny needs a lift for road and lane use only if you are out bog hopping does the advantage of big tyres and more clearance become useful.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2013 08:32 #94889 by jonesyba420

kirkynut wrote: Kumho KL71's are a good new MT that are good on road & off, are reasonably priced, quiet and always available.

I cant recomend them enough, ive got them in 195 80 form and there brilliant! Cut through the mud no issue and there pretty good on road even in the wet.

I agree about laning, you will need mud tyres especially in the winter as the majority of lanes seem to be used as farm tracks (or atleast they are in my area).

if your debating a lift in the future I would make your mind up and do that first or you might find you want bigger tyres after lifting it.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds