BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mods

• foggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 20:13 #94570 by foggy
Mods was created by foggy
Guys,

Give me a list in order of priority of what mods you would do for general use and some green laning....

I have a 2000 Jimny and will slowly start to add mods as and when money is about.. At the moment she is completely standard... Already bought a snorkel but thats for Looks! :laugh:

I'm thinking a small lift but do I need to?
Spacers to push wheels out-
Under armour but what and where?
etc etc

Cheers Guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blissett
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 20:36 #94588 by Blissett
Replied by Blissett on topic Mods
1. Decent tyres at's for general laning. Or mud tyres for play site and serious lanes.
2. Transfer box guard
3. Radius arm mount guards.

That was my order of mods.... More since then..

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 20:42 #94591 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Mods

Blissett wrote: 1. Decent tyres at's for general laning. Or mud tyres for play site and serious lanes.
2. Transfer box guard
3. Radius arm mount guards.

+1

id go for 195 80 mt, personaly recomend kumho kl71.

a snorkel is functional not just for show ;)

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 20:56 #94601 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic Mods
I dont run any under armour...

May do radius arm guards at some point....

Unless your hopping over rocks all the time there isnt a point...

Just keep your eyes open :blink: for any hazards and deal with them accordingly

• Woolford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 22:04 #94615 by Woolford
Replied by Woolford on topic Mods
Mine came with some cheap AT's on, first I did 2.5 inch lift plus transfer box guard and steering dampner.

Then snorkle for looks, then rocklobster transfer box, Which is the best thing ever for green laning!!! Then bigger wheels, Now its perfect for lanning and still ok on road, mind you I have done this over 8-9 months

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 22:53 #94623 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic Mods
I'd say good tyres, then lift. Then build it up as you feel necessary, when you start using it you will get a feel for what mods will be most effective for you.
I fitted my tyres and lift, then found I was going through a lot of fords and know I will be too tempted when it floods to just go for it, so fitted my snorkel.
Fitted my recovery points as I knew I was going to a p&p day and would probably need them lol.
After the weekend and getting well and truelly stuck I've ordered a winch, I was planning on saving for a rocklobster, but the jimny faired a lot better round the course than I though until it got stuck.

What I would say is mod to excess, by that I meen if you are going to mod something make sure it is more than capable for what you need. I brought a set of at's that wouldn't suffice for what I use the jimny for, then had to go and buy another set of tyres, could of saved my self some dough If I'd just got what I really needed in the first place.
I did the same with my lift, bought a 2" lift then had to up it to a 3" to fit the tyres.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 23:31 #94627 by jonesyba420
Under armour gives you peace of mind which will lead to more adventurous driving line choices when out laning ;)

Unless yoyr planing on fitting much bigger wheels and tyres to drive extreme terrain or to be able to drive in landrover ruts I wouldnt bother with a lift untill youve been out and decided if its really necessary for what youll be driving.

mine is unlifted on mud tyres and ive yet to get stuck laning, their pretty capable on standard suspention.

More
05 Dec 2013 00:09 #94632 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Mods

jonesyba420 wrote: Under armour gives you peace of mind which will lead to more adventurous driving line choices when out laning ;)

Unless yoyr planing on fitting much bigger wheels and tyres to drive extreme terrain or to be able to drive in landrover ruts I wouldnt bother with a lift untill youve been out and decided if its really necessary for what youll be driving.

mine is unlifted on mud tyres and ive yet to get stuck laning, their pretty capable on standard suspention.

You never said you havnt been stuck yet I could of help out with that

JIMNYLESS

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2013 08:53 #94634 by jonesyba420
I got stuck pretty good when I had AT's just yet to get stuck with my MT's. I try to avoid getting stuck especially when its just me and the misses! I was expecting to get stuck on the plain with you but it coped fine, even on bits I was expecting trouble with proceeding it just plodded on through :whistle:

if I had a snorkel I would have played in the deep water more, next major mod I recon :)

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2013 12:18 #94646 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic Mods
I think to keep things in check cost wise you have to look at your wheel/tyre choice along with a lift... having run a stock jimny myself with small MT tyres, I could get anywhere until my diffs grounded... lifting alone does not change this as you need to increase the diff to ground distance and that only way to do that is with bigger tyres.. of course that then needs a lift to accommodate them!.. catch 22..

to further add to the dilemma.. if you go for bigger tyres then your low range will not be low enough and you will need to look to a minilobster (410 transfer box) or rock lobster (410/413 hybrid box).. and if your going to do that you might as well get the ORA or Redacted kit instead of a transfer box guard as they do both..

save money buying a snorkel.. if your going that deep you'll need to do more things before that becomes a worry..

decide what you are going to want to do with your jimny as that will ultimately decide on your mods..

first step is radius arm and rear shock guards... Jimnybits have some xmas offers on at the moment so have a look..

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Dec 2013 12:44 - 05 Dec 2013 12:52 #94647 by jonesyba420

Yellostreak wrote: decide what you are going to want to do with your jimny as that will ultimately decide on your mods..

first step is radius arm and rear shock guards and T-box guard ;)

+1

modify your jimny to suit your needs, if you dont NEED 31" tyres, a 4" lift, body lift, rocklobster gearing, 13000lb winch, steel bumpers, rock sliders, internal/external roll cage why fit them?!

i have no lift just guards and 195 80 mud tyres (which give a bit more ground clearance over stock tyres) and i dont struggle on any lanes ive driven so far.

yea sure somtimes you cant follow "your mate in the defender" through all the deep ruts but your smaller more nimble jimny will always find a way ;)

in my uncles defence his Grabber 2's are shot!!!!
Last edit: 05 Dec 2013 12:52 by jonesyba420.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds