BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

steering

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Dec 2013 14:36 #94416 by littletriple
steering was created by littletriple
Hi,

If I let go of the steering wheel the car tends to drift to the left. Although noticeable under most conditions this is only a slight tendency but would be nice to correct. Does the steering box have any centering mechanism which has to be adjusted to the straight ahead of the wheels? Wheel alignment has allegedly just been done. I have checked tyre pressures. One tyre seems to have a little more wear, could this be the cause? I have tried eliminating the road camber by driving on the other side but this tends to be unpopular. :blink:
Looked but couldn't find anything on this specific point

Martin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2013 17:47 - 03 Dec 2013 17:57 #94431 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic steering
I imagine you need your tracking sorting out.

Edit: not been on here properly for best part of a week due to crap shifts at work & just realised this us your newly purchased one! Congrats and hope you like it!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 03 Dec 2013 17:57 by kirkynut.

More
03 Dec 2013 17:57 #94433 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic steering
Possible some thing else is throwing the tracking out like a worn track rod end etc but if its only doing it to yhe left proberly just tracking some places are ussless at tracking even with the right kit

JIMNYLESS

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Dec 2013 09:20 #94497 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic steering
thanks guys.

Yes collected car on Sunday & very happy so far. :) Of course it's not new so there are bound to be little things requiring my time & cash... Will post a pic or 2 when I take some.

So to be clear the steering box has no centering bias at all? All the centering is done with the wheel alignment?
Presumably the rear axle needs to be checked too?

Where can I get balancing beads? Is there a recommended source?

cheers,

Martin.

More
04 Dec 2013 11:12 - 04 Dec 2013 11:16 #94503 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic steering
The steering should self centre but if the tracking is out by enough, due to whatever cause, that centre might be to the left as the tracking is causing it to be so.

Get 4 wheel alignment done, so the back axle too but that has no adjustment. Check the panhard rods are not bent as they are made of cheese as standard and a little tap on a curb may bend them, along with buckling a wheel.

You could have an independent tyre place re balance them and check them for buckling.

Balancing beads can be got from Devon 4x4 but I would hope on a standard Jimny with road tyres a good tyre fitter can balance them well.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 04 Dec 2013 11:16 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: littletriple

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds