BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY

• jimothy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 16:25 #94152 by jimothy
TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY was created by jimothy
Seats taken out. some rust but not as bad as I thought it would be. So I have attacked it with the wire brush on the drill. Then treated it with rust cure. Yep you know the stuff that turns black. left it to dry for a few hours while I fitted the side bars. then decided to have a go at the worst of it underneath. painted the bits in with smooth Hamerrite. got at the rust cured bits with the wifes hair dryer..yer shes not a happy bunny as she now has Hammerite on it. And then I have applied the first coat of Hammerite inside. Probably best to give I a few coats. I have noticed all this rust is at the seams mainly. And is coming from the underneath. So the next job is to remove the Exhaust back box so I can get right where the worst of it is. JOB FOR NEXT WEEKEND.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 16:29 - 01 Dec 2013 18:05 #94154 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY
Good job

Also now you can get the wife a new hair dryer for christmas lol
Last edit: 01 Dec 2013 18:05 by markyp2000.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 18:01 #94175 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY
Looks like you have don a good job there Jim .................... ;)

• piprice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 18:13 - 01 Dec 2013 18:14 #94180 by piprice
Replied by piprice on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY
how did you find stripping the back out? easy?

i know ive got some, same as you need the back box off to examine further :huh:

I have already poked a screw driver through somebits and had to stop myself!

Funny enough ive been using the wifes hair dryer today in conjunction with wd40 to debadge the old boy today lol :D
Last edit: 01 Dec 2013 18:14 by piprice.

• jimothy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 19:31 #94190 by jimothy
Replied by jimothy on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY
Hi Phil
The strip down of the back seats takes about 20mins. The worst job is undoing the seat bolts in the floor as these were very tight. I am thinking of fitting the rear speakers while I have it striped. Going to do some more work on it tomorrow .
Fit those tyres and get that back box off. that's going to be fun as the bolts are rotten. Happy days. almost ready for the Road. oh I have to fit new belts as well. Fan and air con belt. :) :)

• piprice
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 19:41 #94191 by piprice
Replied by piprice on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY
Not to bad then!
Yours is not bad at all if all you done was a clean up, I need to weld, which is always a pain!

Just need to see the damage with the back box off!

Buy some hammerite and under seal then and get on it!

Aahhh my plan tomorrow is carry on debadging and I've got to square my tools up as there all over the car including a million screws from when the dash come out!
Can't believe yours is a 2007 and has rust!

All the years suzuki have had to sort the problem!
Can't believe there's a 2013 jimny!

• jimothy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 20:12 #94199 by jimothy
Yes mine is a 2007 but it has lived in Herne Bay in Kent at its right by the sea. so I suppose for a 7 year old it is not that bad. its only ever done motorway work and has 131000 on the clock but had a new Engine fitted at 62000. why I don't know. anyway who would drive a jimny on the motorway everyday. Brave man..its done 32000miles since its mot in july. so they certainly worked it.
Attachments:

More
01 Dec 2013 20:47 #94204 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY

jimothy wrote: So the next job is to remove the Exhaust back box so I can get right where the worst of it is. JOB FOR NEXT WEEKEND.

I waited till I had a new back box before tackling that job...........glad I did too cos my back box needed the grinder to get it off.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• jimothy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2013 21:21 #94216 by jimothy
Yep I make you right about the Exhaust . Just been pricing one up . as the 2007 VVT is different to the early vvt Jimny and the cheapest seems to be about £65. mine looks pretty grubby but its not blowing I might see if I can snap the bolts off and re drill them for a nut and bolt fixture. at least I will be able to get to the bottom of the boot floor. ;) ;)

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2013 08:05 #94256 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic TODAYS WORK ON THE JIMNY
take the rear bumper off too.. I found rust right next to the rear body mounts that needs to be neutralized then plated over.. I have no other rust on the rear of mine so makes me think if mine is like this just here and yours are worse elsewhere then be best to check!.. about 10 x 10mm bolts and the bumpers off in 5 mins.

• jimothy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2013 15:50 #94291 by jimothy
Yes I did think this so I have made an effort to get the bolts out. but guess what . Yes they are seized. so I need to spray them up and leave them for a bit. I have managed to put all the trim back in today as well as doing a track rod end and change the rear tyres. Then give it a wash.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds