BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What video recording kit are people using

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 14:01 #90369 by jimnydms
As above are people using any camera s to record laning etc if so what are people using, Go Pro ? If so which one or I see O.R.A are offering one called DRIFT ? I find the iPhone just isn't cutting it and getting some good footage of when my mates get stuck in there "non Zuk" off roaders !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 14:49 - 11 Nov 2013 14:51 #90373 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic What video recording kit are people using
i use my galaxy s4 on a windscreen mount thing coupled together with some foam underneath between phone and dash to stop it bouncing around to much.you do need a car charger tho as it canes the battery.

we also use a hd1080 handheld sd card video camera for filming to the sides,views etc and if we wanna get out and film.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 14:51 by jonesyba420.

More
11 Nov 2013 14:57 #90375 by Halford
jonesyba420 wrote

with some foam underneath between phone and dash to stop it bouncing around to much

good idea will have to try that, looks like it works a treat
;)

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 15:03 #90378 by jimnydms
Replied by jimnydms on topic Re:What video recording kit are people using
Good idea with the foam. I just found the iPhone is no good through the woods as too dark. No experiance with go pro s?

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 15:07 #90380 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic What video recording kit are people using
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOP have you thought about this, alot cheaper than a go pro and will do pretty much the same job. www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636417.htm

Halford: i use one of these:

and a small piece of this:

i stick the mount central (where the little pointless tray thing is in the top of the dash) as low as you can get it and the phone sits in a section of foam to help reduce the bounce.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 15:17 #90383 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:What video recording kit are people using

jimnydms wrote: Good idea with the foam. I just found the iPhone is no good through the woods as too dark. No experiance with go pro s?

get a better phone :laugh: only joking, its probably the auto focus on the phone is to slow to compensate for the change in light, alot of cameras suffer this including my handheld :( one thing to do is briefly stop to let the camera adjust then carry on.

no experiance of go pro but they are very widly used for action sports. they were the first of this type of camera so your paying more for the name. if all your looking for the camera to do is document the lanes you drive something cheaper will surfice i should think.

you will need the biggest memory card you can get tho as 1080 videoes are massive files!so think about it,you spend 200-300 on a go pro you then need atleast a 32gb memory card which are pretty pricey for a decent branded one (wouldnt trust cheap chinese cards after losing hours of footage cos the card died) it soon adds up, whereas you could get that argos one and a decent card for less than the cheap gopro and itll probably be fine for your needs (could prob add a 1080 handheld for when you get out to film and still save over a gopro)

• Yellostreak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 15:22 #90385 by Yellostreak
Replied by Yellostreak on topic Re:What video recording kit are people using

jimnydms wrote: Good idea with the foam. I just found the iPhone is no good through the woods as too dark. No experiance with go pro s?

Go-Pro does not do low light very well... also battery lasts about an hour and memory card needs to be big and fast.. you also need at least an i5 computer to process the files.. and its recommended unless you have the best gear and oodles of time to edit just use it on 720 or 960 as 1080 fullHD is resource hungry..

Great Camera though :cheer:

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 15:31 - 11 Nov 2013 15:33 #90389 by jonesyba420
not many cameras are good in low light unless you spend a serious amount of money on night vision cameras!

i can leave my phone plugged in on charge so can record all day long (or untill i run out of memory) whereas my handheld video camera wont record when charging and i suspect a go pro wont as they'll want you to fork out on spare batteries at some exuberant cost ( you can buy alot of memory cards for 300quid).

have been thinking about using my old phone as its smaller so wont bounce as much but still does hd video and just leaving it in there as a dash cam ;)
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 15:33 by jonesyba420.

More
11 Nov 2013 18:11 - 11 Nov 2013 18:16 #90424 by supergaz
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 18:16 by supergaz.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 18:56 - 11 Nov 2013 18:57 #90449 by jonesyba420
if i was in the market id go for the www.amazon.co.uk/Gear-Pro-High-Definitio...FS5W8/ref=pd_cp_ph_0 for the price you cant go wrong,comes with pleanty of mounts bby the looks of things, could get 2 for less than 100quid and have one front and rear ;)

the other one only comes with helmet and handlebar mounts, pretty useless for a car so you would then have to buy other mounts if there available.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 18:57 by jonesyba420.

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 20:54 #90493 by rayz_x
I have been thinking about one of these for road use - they record a loop and I can't find out how long that is. There are others with GPS registering that could be useful for laning.

www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Original-Ambar...rds=car+video+camera

Ray

• littlegreenjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2013 21:19 - 11 Nov 2013 21:21 #90499 by littlegreenjimny
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 21:21 by littlegreenjimny.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds