BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lambda/O2 Sensor Harness location

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 11:04 #85057 by X-Eng Simon
Lambda/O2 Sensor Harness location was created by X-Eng Simon
I've just replaced my Auto Box and in the process discovered that the Lambda Sensor connector has melted - and there is no sign of where it connected to in the wiring harness! It's possible the wires have been pulled out of the loom!

It explains why the engine was running so badly! Do any of you know where or which bit of the loom the Lambda sensor originally connected to / which bit it branches out from so I know where to start stripping the insulation?

It's a 1999 Spanish Built Jimny with a G series Engine.

Thanks in advance,

Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 11:22 #85061 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Lambda/O2 Sensor Harness location
My Jap built Jimny Sensor connection came from the main ECU harness that ran the injectors and the other engine sensors all come off of the one harness on my truck

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 11:44 #85068 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Lambda/O2 Sensor Harness location
Thanks Dave.

There is a 6 pin connector on the main loom that was obviously connected to something - but nothing obvious. Is it possible there was something which connected to that with a tail connecting to the Lambda - which has since been lost?

There has been a 6 month gap between removing the engine & putting it back in (no time) and I can't remember enough of the details!

Si

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 11:47 #85069 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Lambda/O2 Sensor Harness location
Think it was a green 2 pin plug if I remember correctly will have a look to nite when I get in my loom is just clipped up on the bulk head since I went Diesel so will be able to see it easily

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 12:30 #85072 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Lambda/O2 Sensor Harness location
Mine was cliped the the rear of the head just above the gearbox

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 13:16 #85075 by X-Eng Simon
Mine has a green 4 pin connector, clipped on to the rear of the head with about 70mm between the clip & connector. There is just nothing else on the loom that I can find long enough to go anywhere near it! Hence wondering if it's been ripped out of the main loom.

Si

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 14:16 #85078 by markyp2000
Has it got a body lift

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 14:26 #85080 by X-Eng Simon

markyp2000 wrote: Has it got a body lift

It has - but it was done by the previous owner.

Si

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2013 16:46 #85084 by markyp2000
Could you get a pic so we know if we are talking about the same plug

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2013 09:34 #85155 by X-Eng Simon

This shows the wire connected to the Lambda sensor on the rear of the Exhaust Manifold. There isn't much point in photographing the plug more closely as it's a blob of melted plastic - but there are four wires going in ands it looks like it used to be square.

Si
Attachments:

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2013 10:04 #85158 by X-Eng Simon
All the info I can find on line points to the connector being on this part of the main loom. I've stripped back the insulation - bit there are no loose ends of wires and none of the wire colours associated with the Lambda Sensor.
Attachments:

• X-Eng Simon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2013 12:06 #85166 by X-Eng Simon
Found It!

I traced the wired from the ECU by stripping the insulation off the loom at each Junction. It eventually comes out the same cable as connects to the Alternator & Starter. There is a third branch at the same place they separate which goes to the reverse light switch and the Lambda Sensor connector. However, it comes out on the wrong side of the engine - and the leads are 30cm too short! What gives?

It appears it connects to the gearbox loom. The reverse light, obviously connects to the gearbox. The Lambda goes in to the gearbox loom - then pops out above the bell housing where the sensor can plug in.

When I swapped from Manual to Auto - and removed the gearbox loom - it must have been forgotten! When I found the original loom - the appropriate connectors were there. I just stripped out this interconnect and installed it as an extension.

Si

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds