BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Manual Hubs

More
07 Oct 2013 20:56 #85450 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Manual Hubs
Thanks for the explanation.

I can see where you are coming from, but I think there are a couple of flaws in your logic.

Firstly the shaft and hub aren't spinning at massively different speeds are they? Unless you are wheel-spinning everywhere, for the majority of the time they are actually spinning at the same speed, so nothing is wearing against anything.

Secondly, when you are in normal 2wd mode the shaft is stationary and the hub is spinning around it very quickly. Is this not what you are describing, but in reverse?

Helijohn puts it quite well. If it works one way round, why not the other?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2013 05:29 - 08 Oct 2013 06:28 #85483 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Manual Hubs
I get what you are saying that the hub it spinning around with the shaft static inside it so why can't it happen the other way around with the shaft spinning inside the hub with only the differential in speed of the wheels because they are steering etc, however the issue is that because when that differential in speed occurs those shafts are not running on a bearing.

The amount one shaft spins compared to the other can vary too according to how much drag there is, which is varied by a number of things, such as how much grease is in each CV, the resistance of the shaft in the oil seal or the bush the CV runs on in the knuckle. So one shaft might spin much more than the other allowed by the diff and hey the differential in speed is greater.

The diff will allow the drive to follow the path of least resistance, so if one shaft has less resistance on it from the CV, the axle oil seal and the rubber bush in the knuckle, the drive will spin out through that shaft more than the other or only through that shaft in a worse case scenario.

Trust me on this guys. It's been proven in practice. It happens and I read of it happening to someone only in the last week or so. If I can find where I shall point you in the direction of it if it was online.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 06:28 by kirkynut.

More
08 Oct 2013 06:37 #85488 by Busta
Fair enough.

Call me fool-hardy but I'm going to carry on using it in 2low so I can see for myself.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2013 07:58 #85497 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Manual Hubs
How long have you been using your 2 low switch busta?

what actually happens in the transfer box when you select 4wd? (Manual syatem with vacum hubs)

I thought it just sends a signal telling the system to lock the hubs to the drive shafts, or does it also do something else?

youd think you would hear grinding etc if it was causing problems.

More
08 Oct 2013 08:49 #85502 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Manual Hubs

kirkynut wrote:
Trust me on this guys. It's been proven in practice. It happens and I read of it happening to someone only in the last week or so. If I can find where I shall point you in the direction of it if it was online.

Kirkynut

I trust you - I just don't get it! :laugh: :laugh: It is academic for me anyway. ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2013 09:33 #85504 by jonesyba420
Same.... im still abit confused tho tbh. Need to know what the transfer box does when you select 4wd other than tell the hubs to lock?

im sure busta has had it a while and uses it regulaly with no problems.

More
08 Oct 2013 11:13 - 08 Oct 2013 11:19 #85506 by Busta
The transfer box does 2 things when you switch from 2hi to 4hi.

Firstly, the actual movement of the lever engages drive to the front propshaft. This in turn drives the diff and then halfshafts, sending drive to the centre of the hubs.

Secondly it triggers a switch which completes an electrical circuit which triggers the vacuum system to engage the front hubs. This now allows the drive to be transmitted to the wheels.

Both of these things need to happen for drive to reach the front wheels.

Switching the '2low' switch simply breaks the circuit to the vacuum system, making it think you have moved the lever back to the 2hi position and thus disengages the front hubs. At this point everything up to the front hubs is still being driven.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 11:19 by Busta.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2013 15:10 #85513 by jonesyba420
So there is a mechanical change in the transfer box aswell. Have you had any problems with yours after fitting the switch and how long you been using it?

More
08 Oct 2013 18:52 #85523 by Busta
I've only been using it for a couple of months but no problems to report so far. I'll post on here if that changes.

More
08 Oct 2013 19:16 #85524 by jimkyx
Replied by jimkyx on topic Manual Hubs
This is a good break down of the FWD components problem is I don't have the code descriptions:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds