BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tips for fitting a stick-on number plate

More
25 Sep 2013 08:54 #84315 by helijohn
I'm terrified of sticking this on in the wrong place or cockeyed so any suggestions would be welcome. :unsure: It is going on the bonnet! B)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2013 09:09 - 25 Sep 2013 09:10 #84317 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Tips for fitting a stick-on number plate
make sure the bonnet is clean,obviously measure it so you get it central,and use soapy water in the are the plate is going to be so you can correct the plate if need be,once its in the correct place use a filler spreader (credit card type bit of plastic) and from the centre push the bubbles and water out then that should be it,just let it dry a bit before wiping over etc.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2013 09:10 by gaz3359.

More
25 Sep 2013 09:16 #84319 by helijohn

gaz3359 wrote: make sure the bonnet is clean,obviously measure it so you get it central,and use soapy water in the are the plate is going to be so you can correct the plate if need be,once its in the correct place use a filler spreader (credit card type bit of plastic) and from the centre push the bubbles and water out then that should be it,just let it dry a bit before wiping over etc.

Thanks.
I intend to mark out the horizontal and vertical positions with maybe masking tape or a removable marker pen.
I was going to clean the bodywork it with meth but this is a self adhesive one with a real sticky back once I peel off the backing it'll be sticking wherever it touches. :angry: Is it the sort you are thinking of? :unsure:

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2013 09:24 #84320 by gaz3359
sounds like the same plate i have on mine,and ive fitted 2 as i swapped to a private plate,i didnt go that tecnical i just went off eye but you could use masking tape,if you use soapy water on the back of the plate and bonnet it means that the plate can be adjusted or removed if fitted wonkey or incorrect.and once you have squeezed the water out when happy it will dry and stick.

More
25 Sep 2013 09:49 #84321 by helijohn
Wont the water ruinfthe sticky glue??

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2013 10:21 #84327 by gaz3359
Nope its a tried and tested method ive been in the motor trade 16 years and seen it done hundreds of times over the years on sales cars getting graphics on the side etc.as said just squeeze all the water out when happy with its position

More
25 Sep 2013 20:22 - 25 Sep 2013 20:39 #84381 by dirtydogz

As Gary said also use soapy water.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 25 Sep 2013 20:39 by dirtydogz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gaz3359, helijohn

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2013 21:18 #84385 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic Tips for fitting a stick-on number plate
I just went for it and got it pretty much dead on, but I fit number plates all the time at work so have an eye for it :silly: the adhesive is a bastad, if it goes on in the wrong place it is not coming of without a fight so soapy water is best way, gives you some adjustment after it's on.

A handy tip is look for a reference point, used the grilles in the bonnet. Make sure your all square, number plate edge is same place against the grilles both sides, and same distance from the top of the grilles.

Take into account the curve in the bonnet when squeegee/sticking the plate, it will cause bubbles and wonky ness if you not careful, start from centre work out.

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2013 21:33 #84386 by Skinhead
Replied by Skinhead on topic Tips for fitting a stick-on number plate
Just stick it on, thats what i did, looks a mess but its on

More
25 Sep 2013 22:19 #84388 by helijohn

gaz3359 wrote: Nope its a tried and tested method ive been in the motor trade 16 years and seen it done hundreds of times over the years on sales cars getting graphics on the side etc.as said just squeeze all the water out when happy with its position

I find that amazing and while waiting for replies just stuck it on. I sort of wish I had got the guts to do it when it was first mentioned but I couldn't believe it would not mess the glue up. :ohmy:

Got it level - used masking tape to form a lip to rest it on, felt tipped the centres then started with the bottom edge and smoothed it with a cloth. Got a few air bubbles but stabbed them with a pin and they flattened nicely.

So how do I get it off..........hot air maybe?? She who obeys me don't like it. :(

I like it cos the car looks more business like at the front now. B)

Soapy water.................incredible. :ohmy:

I wish I could have believed the first post but my apologies to all for being a doubting Thomas. Maybe next time on someone else's motor. :laugh: :laugh:

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2013 07:13 #84402 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Tips for fitting a stick-on number plate
Maybe a picture would be nice. Its the same principle with tinting windows ;)

just tell SWOB that she likes it thus problem solved.

More
26 Sep 2013 08:09 #84414 by helijohn

jonesyba420 wrote: Maybe a picture would be nice.

You'll probably say it is hideous Alex. :( It really alters the dynamics of the appearance of the front. :ohmy:

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds