BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Winch cable dampner

• Teds Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2013 14:22 #83244 by Teds Jimny
Winch cable dampner was created by Teds Jimny
I have seen a lot of these winch line dampers in use, and there aim is to bring the line down to the ground should the line snap for an reason.

However I might expect the damper to bring the cable down to the ground eventually, but surely there would be a lot of potential energy in a line under strain, so if this was to snap, surely a small cover/blanket wouldn't stand a chance in bringing the line down?

Basically what I'm saying is, does anyone have a better alternative? A lead blanket perhaps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2013 14:41 #83249 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Winch cable dampner
The best idea is to use synthetic rope. When that snaps it doesn't flail around but just drops to the ground. Strops can still store energy though and can cause shackles to fly a short distance but a winch sail won't help that anyway.

Synthetic rope is more expensive but it's safety makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

So there's your solution.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Teds Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2013 15:29 #83263 by Teds Jimny
Replied by Teds Jimny on topic Winch cable dampner
But I haven't got an electric winch, I've got a hand winch, so synthetic rope isn't an option sadly

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds