BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Considering a high mileage auto. Should I do it?

• McScotty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 04:58 #83105 by McScotty
Hello Gentleman,

I've spotted a beautiful bone stock 2002 Jimny AT that appears in really good condition. However, it's an auto with 142,000 km clocked. I hear people say these transmissions are undersized with questionable long-term reliability. I intend to use the vehicle sparingly, as a motorcycle is my daily driver. Just rainy days, trips to Costco and the odd excursion. Any guys out there with high mileage autos that could offer me some reassurance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 06:22 #83109 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Considering a high mileage auto. Should I do it?
Lol, that's not high mileage, mine has 480,000kms on the clock and still original motor, although I have replaced a cam. Can't tell about the auto though, mine is manual

• McScotty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 06:37 - 14 Sep 2013 06:49 #83111 by McScotty
Yeah, I'm not concerned about the motor. I know they're bombproof. Besides the m13 engines are a dime a dozen in these parts.

The A174 trannys are a little more exclusive, so I wouldn't want to have to replace it. They're built by Aisin Warner, so it has the pedigree and there doesn't seem to be any reports on the Net of one giving up.

BTW. That's some impressive mileage for a European built ragtop. I assume she doesn't get dirty much?
Last edit: 14 Sep 2013 06:49 by McScotty.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 10:28 #83117 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Considering a high mileage auto. Should I do it?

McScotty wrote: Yeah, I'm not concerned about the motor. I know they're bombproof. Besides the m13 engines are a dime a dozen in these parts.

The A174 trannys are a little more exclusive, so I wouldn't want to have to replace it. They're built by Aisin Warner, so it has the pedigree and there doesn't seem to be any reports on the Net of one giving up.

BTW. That's some impressive mileage for a European built ragtop. I assume she doesn't get dirty much?

I go on many 5,000 k trips off road, particularly in the Flinders Ranges in South Australia. Plus I like to visit my brother over in Mt Tom Price and Paraburdoo in West Ausy so my Jimny has "Been there, done that". Also, I work with earthmoving equipment such as scrapers, dozers, excavators, articulated line-haulers (Moxies) and front-loaders etc. My Jimny goes off-road every day. I look after it, use a rainmaker to clean underneath every time it gets muddy. Avoid water crossings where possible but dust is my forte ; The Jimny is a very capable and economical car besides which it is absolutely the most fun to drive. I have heaps of cars and vintage cars, but the Jimny draws me, speaks to me :D

I love the Jimnys.

More
14 Sep 2013 11:38 #83120 by kirkynut

ZookFastback wrote:

McScotty wrote: Yeah, I'm not concerned about the motor. I know they're bombproof. Besides the m13 engines are a dime a dozen in these parts.

I go on many 5,000 k trips off road, particularly in the Flinders Ranges in South Australia. Plus I like to visit my brother over in Mt Tom Price and Paraburdoo in West Ausy so my Jimny has "Been there, done that". Also, I work with earthmoving equipment such as scrapers, dozers, excavators, articulated line-haulers (Moxies) and front-loaders etc. My Jimny goes off-road every day. I look after it, use a rainmaker to clean underneath every time it gets muddy. Avoid water crossings where possible but dust is my forte ; The Jimny is a very capable and economical car besides which it is absolutely the most fun to drive. I have heaps of cars and vintage cars, but the Jimny draws me, speaks to me :D

I love the Jimnys.

What's a rain maker???

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 12:27 #83128 by ZookFastback
Rain maker is type of sprinkler that sends fine jets of water in a wave pattern, just stick it under your car, move it after 10 mins, then you should have removed most of the gunk.

More
14 Sep 2013 17:15 #83153 by helijohn

McScotty wrote: Hello Gentleman,

I've spotted a beautiful bone stock 2002 Jimny AT that appears in really good condition. However, it's an auto with 142,000 km clocked. I hear people say these transmissions are undersized with questionable long-term reliability. I intend to use the vehicle sparingly, as a motorcycle is my daily driver. Just rainy days, trips to Costco and the odd excursion. Any guys out there with high mileage autos that could offer me some reassurance?

Right. I just sold my Rav 4 with 200000 on the clock and it ran a treat but hey, Toyota is in a class of it's own. I hear people say the Suzuki engines are bullet proof etc. etc. but I am not so sure. I've had a few and can say they tend to be very reliable and quiet.

My Jimny is 90,000 and I consider that to be high enough when buying. It's OK if YOU took it to that many miles but remember sellers sell for a reason mostly. Mine was no exception - the previous owner last had it 12 months before I got it, don't ask why cos I don';t know - and she sold it because she had had enough. So at high miles it probably would need to be a really good buy pricewise or have something which sells it - mine was so clean and rust free that it looked like it had done 20,000 which makes mechanical problems worth fixing.........don't forget all the other things have done the miles. And sure enough it needed all sorts of jobs doing which garages would have charged an arm and a leg to fund, from keys to king pins!

I tend to think that the auto box is the best way to buy used as manual boxes and clutches depend on the owners' driving skills. Just do the usual checks to make sure it is OK.

Another factor is that autos are fairly uncommon. I found a manual can be had for a real song but not autos. When I was looking the story I got from dealers to sellers is " if you find an auto grab it".

Finally, you seem to be going to use it in the same sort of way as me. Mine is a street car/shopping trolley/part time backup motor which I can tinker with fairly cheaply for a bit of fun but the ride soon makes me want to switch back to my #1 motor. It is fairly cheap to run as a second. I'm not into making it into a mini Discovery or Landcruiser so for what it is, it's ideal.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• McScotty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2013 14:42 #83364 by McScotty
"Toyota is in a class of it's own"

I'm cross shopping this against a Terios

"mine was so clean and rust free that it looked like it had done 20,000 which makes mechanical problems worth fixing"

I feel the same about the one I'm looking at. Looks like it just left the showroom.

"but the ride soon makes me want to switch back to my #1 motor"

I owned a Samurai through college, so I know what I'm getting into.

I've seen a couple of trannys on the used market locally for about $800USD (500 quid), so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the guys around here really seem to thrash these things hardcore, so probably not the best guys to ask about reliability....or maybe the best guys to ask.

More
16 Sep 2013 14:51 #83365 by helijohn
[quote="McScotty" post=83364n"

I'm cross shopping this against a Terios[/quote]

That was one I had my eyes on too, nice alternative. However, having had a lot of Suzukis I have bits galore for them.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2013 14:52 #83366 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re:Considering a high mileage auto. Should I do it?
I would say they are the best ones to ask!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds