BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spare wheel cover

More
13 Sep 2013 22:41 #83096 by helijohn
Spare wheel cover was created by helijohn
Looks like I am going to make my own. Just a disc of quality ply - yacht varnished simply to cover the rim as it is now different from the wheels on the road.

Can anyone tell me how to cut a perfect 16½" diameter disc that won't need any more finishing than a quick sand down and coat of varnish?
If I use a jigsaw I'll be spending ages trying to true up the circle and will likely end up with a 14" disc. :laugh:

Also, how can I get it to stay on. :unsure:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2013 23:37 #83101 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Spare wheel cover
What you need is a measuring device a screw or drawing pin some string and a sharp pencil along with your jigsaw.

sure you can work out the rest ;)

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 09:07 #83116 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Spare wheel cover
Why not just pick-up a 'soft' Spare Wheel Cover' off the bay .......... :whistle:

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 10:30 - 14 Sep 2013 10:32 #83118 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Spare wheel cover
If you only want to cover the rim, then go to any wreckers and grab a full (disk type) plastic hubcap and you can even paint it to match the bodywork :D Should cost you no more than a couple of dollars, simple :whistle:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2013 10:32 by ZookFastback. Reason: mispelling

More
14 Sep 2013 11:41 #83121 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Spare wheel cover
I've just bought a genuine Zuki spare wheel disc for £33 off eBay - quite expensive for what it is but I have this thing about not wanting anything on my Jimny to be home made looking.

I need to mount my rear number plate and number plate light to it and my thick vinyl one that had ply behind for the number plate and light to screw to is splitting and I was never really happy with it.

Hopefully it will look factory ish though when done.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
14 Sep 2013 14:20 #83136 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Spare wheel cover
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationthis has inspired me :blink:

think I'll take my spare wheel off and strap to the back seats in the rear space and fit this on the back door :whistle:

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 14:45 #83138 by Tadpole
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI quite like this one ....................... :laugh:

More
14 Sep 2013 16:37 #83147 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Spare wheel cover

Tadpole wrote: Why not just pick-up a 'soft' Spare Wheel Cover' off the bay .......... :whistle:

I don't know really. I've had and chucked soft covers before and I don't like them but I think I like the look of the tyre showing. :unsure: I have one which is for a 31 10.5 15 which is way too big. :(

I even tried removing the wheel carrier completely, had the wheel in the back, but the shaped bumper makes it look daft. :ohmy:

kirkynut:I've just bought a genuine Zuki spare wheel disc for £33 off eBay - quite expensive for what it is but I have this thing about not wanting anything on my Jimny to be home made looking.

Nice, I think I was looking at that and a 16" one for Vitaras but I couldn't bear to part with the money. :angry:

More
14 Sep 2013 17:28 #83155 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Spare wheel cover
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Tadpole wrote: I quite like this one ....................... :laugh:

You need the outer ring innit? :unsure:

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2013 17:38 - 14 Sep 2013 17:40 #83157 by Tadpole

helijohn wrote:

Tadpole wrote: I quite like this one ....................... :laugh:

You need the outer ring innit? :unsure:

:) I mean for me, thinking of those in a queue behind me would keep me smiling as they overtook one at a time .....
Last edit: 14 Sep 2013 17:40 by Tadpole.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds