BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Vacuum hubs

• Leech
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 22:19 #81763 by Leech
Vacuum hubs was created by Leech
Hi,
I'm new to the site and would like some help PLEASE. I recently bought a 1999 jimny, and have just found out (after getting stuck) the hubs are not locking when selecting 4 wheel drive. I have no flashing light and the transfer box seems to be working fine ( I can hear it, and the front prop engages), also there is plenty of vacuum on all 4 pipes at the hub. I understand I can get manual ones, but I was wondering how much of a job, servicing the vacuum hubs would be.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 22:35 #81767 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Vacuum hubs
The front wheel bearing seals is what seals the air to make the hubs work

Remove the black locking hubs see if thay are free a 12sided 8mm socket fits the torques/star bolts you can pull then on and off with your finger

When putting in 4wd do you here a click click from the front may need some one to put in 4wd while you put an ear to the hub

And make shore the pipes are the right way round as one hub may be being sucked on and the other sucked off

• Leech
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 22:43 #81768 by Leech
Replied by Leech on topic Vacuum hubs
Thanks will have a look in the morning
Andy

• Leech
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2013 20:08 #83005 by Leech
All sorted now thanks, the hubs are working fine. The problem turned out to be a blocked pipe (the bottom one). Tried removing the bottom hose and connecting a spare piece of pipe on the nipple and blowing with a foot pump, but even that wasn't enough. So I put a piece of tie wire in, and that cleared it. I could suck/blow with no problem, (with the hub removed).all I need now is the snow!!

More
13 Sep 2013 03:15 - 13 Sep 2013 03:16 #83025 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Vacuum hubs
Don't be wishing winter along so quickly! Snow is fun in a Jimjam but we don't want it just yet!!!

Glad you got your hubs fixed though! If they cause you any more trouble get fixed ones or manual free wheeling ones and spacers can be got from Jimnybits.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 13 Sep 2013 03:16 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leech

• Albanianjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2013 14:46 #83064 by Albanianjimny
Replied by Albanianjimny on topic Vacuum hubs
i had the same problem as you when i first bought my jimny last winter. i kept reading everything on the net and asked everybody arround forums. i ended up switching to manual hubs. you can buy them new or get them used from a suzuki vitara or samurai (as long as they are manual locking hubs). you also need to buy 6mm thick spacers and it works like a dream, it never leaves you stuck and its reliable. you can open the hubs, seal them , grease them etc.. ;) i highly recommend it to you. finding the leak is one thing, repairing it is also another thing. the big magic in all this is that it will leak again. look at all the forums, all the newbies, all talking about AWWW, MY VACUM HUBS...do yourself a favor ! you havnt bought a jimny for having the luxury of a range rover vogue so...

• Albanianjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2013 14:52 #83065 by Albanianjimny
Replied by Albanianjimny on topic Vacuum hubs
ANOTHER GOOD THING WITH MANUAL HUBS IS THAT IF YOU LEAVE THE HUBS FREE AND YOU ACTIVATE THE LOW GEARS, THE LOW GEARS WILL GO ONLY THE REAR DIFF SO YOU CAN HANDLE MORE OFFROADING WITH LESS CONSUMING. ITS WHAT I OFTEN DO. SOMETHING YOU WOULDNT HAVE WITH VACUUM HUBS

More
13 Sep 2013 15:16 #83066 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Vacuum hubs

Albanianjimny wrote: ANOTHER GOOD THING WITH MANUAL HUBS IS THAT IF YOU LEAVE THE HUBS FREE AND YOU ACTIVATE THE LOW GEARS, THE LOW GEARS WILL GO ONLY THE REAR DIFF SO YOU CAN HANDLE MORE OFFROADING WITH LESS CONSUMING. ITS WHAT I OFTEN DO. SOMETHING YOU WOULDNT HAVE WITH VACUUM HUBS

Search for '2Low switch'. It's a simple modification which allows you to do this with Vacuum hubs as well.

• Leech
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2013 21:55 #83091 by Leech
Thanks for the advise, I'll stick writhe the vacuum hubs for now and see how I get on, I thought maybe trying them on a weekly basis would help keep them free and give me a bit of confidence. Only joking about the winter, I hate it.
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds