BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Need guidance on trailer woes

More
05 Aug 2013 13:18 #79059 by helijohn
Got myself a nice little trailer for gratis but it has a problem I could do with advice on. One wheel hub is broken and I need to replace it. A wheel lug is adrift and the bearing doesn't sound too healthy either. How does the bub come off and are most hubs fairly universal.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2013 14:53 - 05 Aug 2013 14:59 #79065 by facade
Looks like an early model of the Erde trailers that Halfords sell.

A new hub is more than the trailer is worth about £50 ,try eBay but they are the new round type. ( Christ the prices have gone up in Halfords!, I paid under £100 for the one standing in the Garden)

The bearings are replaceable, they are lifetime (of a Mayfly) sealed races on the small trailers, taper rollers on the bigger ones.
If there was a castellated nut & splitpin they are tapered, yours looks like sealed plain bearings to me.

I hope you unscrewed a locking nut & washer off that spindle!

Anyway, the hub pulls off (use a hub puller to press the centre spindle down and lift the hub off.) I wouldn't hammer it off, as I'm not sure that anything holds the axle in except maybe glue on the rubber.

If it is the small Erde type the races are 6202-2RS on the outside and 6004-2RS on the inside. 2RS means rubber seals both sides, they are a couple of pounds each.

Get a new wheel stud, and weld it in place if the flange is steel.

You could take the rubber seal of the inside of the new bearings, and fit a grease nipple to the hub between the bearings, then keep greasing them.

I'd get the bearings out and check the numbers stamped on them, or check the measurements

6202 is 35mm OD 15mm bore and 11mm wide
6004 is 42mm OD 20mm bore and 12mm wide

The spindle will have 2 diameters and taper between them.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 05 Aug 2013 14:59 by facade.

More
05 Aug 2013 15:12 #79067 by facade
A quick blast on eBay "trailer hub stud" shows some reasonably priced hubs complete that fit 1" dia stub axles.

Pull yours off and see what the axle is.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
05 Aug 2013 16:34 #79080 by helijohn

facade wrote: A quick blast on eBay "trailer hub stud" shows some reasonably priced hubs complete that fit 1" dia stub axles.

Pull yours off and see what the axle is.

I can't get it off to see. I thought it would be held on like a front wheel bearing but not so apparently. I looked at the prices and couldn't decide if I should scrap it.

More
05 Aug 2013 16:44 #79081 by facade
It has to be pull off clean all that gunge out and have a good look, look like bearings to me.

It must have a bearing seized on the spindle.

What was on the thread on the spindle? I'd expect a washer with a diameter of the inner race under a nylock nut.

More
05 Aug 2013 16:47 #79084 by helijohn

facade wrote: If there was a castellated nut & splitpin they are tapered, yours looks like sealed plain bearings to me.
Nope, not castellated. I thought unscrew the nut and it'd fall off. I was wrong. :blush:
I hope you unscrewed a locking nut & washer off that spindle!
What locknut hehehehe. There was just a plain nut. :ohmy: But I did take it off and the washer and try hammering the hub off. Was past caring as the stud hole was half gone! :(
Anyway, the hub pulls off (use a hub puller to press the centre spindle down and lift the hub off.) I wouldn't hammer it off, as I'm not sure that anything holds the axle in except maybe glue on the rubber.

If it is the small Erde type the races are 6202-2RS on the outside and 6004-2RS on the inside. 2RS means rubber seals both sides, they are a couple of pounds each.

When the deluge stops I'll get a puller on it and try again then we'll know more. I am more concerned about the missing lug but I guess plenty of trailers are in bin bottom condition. :laugh: :laugh:

Get a new wheel stud, and weld it in place if the flange is steel.

The flange is alloy and I don't do alloy welding. :( I even thought of making a steel spacer and welding the lug to that but that's what you do if you are stuck in the desert. ;)

You could take the rubber seal of the inside of the new bearings, and fit a grease nipple to the hub between the bearings, then keep greasing them.

I'd get the bearings out and check the numbers stamped on them, or check the measurements

6202 is 35mm OD 15mm bore and 11mm wide
6004 is 42mm OD 20mm bore and 12mm wide

The spindle will have 2 diameters and taper between them.

I only use the trailer for odd trips to the tip or whatever so I want to keep it simple. ;)

More
05 Aug 2013 16:56 #79088 by helijohn

facade wrote: It has to be pull off clean all that gunge out and have a good look, look like bearings to me.

What was on the thread on the spindle? I'd expect a washer with a diameter of the inner race under a nylock nut.

Yes I agree. The nut needed a 5/16" socket (not nylock - same size as the the wheel nut) and the washer was a a big penny washer job like you describe.

The four bolts holding the axle on were entertaining - to say the least.

Attachments:

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2013 17:50 #79098 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Need guidance on trailer woes

facade wrote: It has to be pull off clean all that gunge out and have a good look, look like bearings to me.

If bearing has spun on the stub axle due to faliure could be in a world of pain getting that off :(

More
05 Aug 2013 18:36 #79105 by helijohn

Dave cc wrote:

If bearing has spun on the stub axle due to faliure could be in a world of pain getting that off :(

Do I sense a hacksaw event then?? In truth I never use a hacksaw.............just a grinder. :laugh: :laugh:

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2013 18:48 #79107 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Need guidance on trailer woes
Hub is shot bearing are cattle trucked so a big F/O hammer would be my choice beat the hub off see what the stub axle is like cant fix it until its apart is my moto :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
06 Aug 2013 07:37 - 06 Aug 2013 07:46 #79156 by helijohn
I think this looks like it might do the job.
www.erde-trailers.com/hub102-erdeacute-1...b-assembly-530-p.asp

Last edit: 06 Aug 2013 07:46 by helijohn.

More
06 Aug 2013 08:05 #79158 by facade
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationOnly if the axle is tapered for the two bearings and your wheels are 115mm pcd.

If your stub axle is 1" OD plain and the wheels are 4" PCD you can use the £17.99 one off eBay :)

You have to get the old one off to be sure.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds