BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

All about death wobble

More
18 Jul 2013 16:52 #77453 by helijohn
I keep hearing about this but no idea what the subject is about apart from wobble at speed. Does it come on following something like a lift or fitting extreme tyres? Can it be induced and particular way. Can it just come from nowhere. How severe is it, I mean like wheel balancing out or is it like a dangerous vibration.
I read a bit about Suzuki not expecting the load presented by extreme wheels in the design and them trying to cure it with shims. Don;t King Pind have shims for pre-loads anyway?
So can someone who has experienced of it fill me in please. Or point me to an article that gives a good account with anecdotal support?
Thanks in advance.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Teds Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2013 17:06 #77455 by Teds Jimny
Replied by Teds Jimny on topic All about death wobble
Death wobble is often the outcome of fitting bigger chunkier tyres. Not because of the increased friction caused but because of the change in weight in the tyres. Alloys can also cause death wobble if they aren't 'balanced' correctly. My wobble is bad but not uncontrollable, but you shouldn't put up with it. I took my standard wheels off, fitted chunky tires, I then got death wobble, I went back to road tyres and got the wobble! But this is because I didn't put each wheel back to its existing corner of vehicle. Hope this helps

More
18 Jul 2013 17:13 #77457 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:All about death wobble
Death Wobble is easy identify, its not just a little shake, its when it shakes so bad you get white knuckles gripping the steering wheel and the passengers all shout "we are going to die"

There is no single cause and not necessarily a quick fix.

Suzuki designed the Jimny to be a tolerance fit, so no shims or preload were in the design.

Suzuki do not seem to recognise the issue although Suzuki Australia did produce shims.

However I have a plan........

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk HD

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: helijohn

More
18 Jul 2013 17:23 #77458 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic All about death wobble
Thanks.

Do some Jimnys never get it or can any suddenly get it?

Does it happen at a very certain speed. I had some Fords centuries ago and wheel wobble was almost an accepted attribute.

I have 215.70.15 tyres on 7x15 steel rims so there is a fair bit of offset and extra weight but the tyres are not chunky as I wanted a road tyre rather than aggressive mudplugging ones.

Are the hubs much the same as the SJs as I never heard of this on those!

I suppose if Suzuki built the vehicle as a package then they wouldn't be interested in cars that have been modified.

If it comes on do we go back to standard wheels ( I sold mine :sick: ) or what.

And this plan, I take it it is top secret Martin?

• Teds Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2013 17:35 #77460 by Teds Jimny
Replied by Teds Jimny on topic All about death wobble
For me it happens past 40mph 50 mph is unbearable, and yes it can happen to any car, but it doesn't just happen, you have to play around with the wheels in some way to trigger it.

More
18 Jul 2013 18:04 #77464 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic All about death wobble

Teds Jimny wrote: For me it happens past 40mph 50 mph is unbearable, and yes it can happen to any car, but it doesn't just happen, you have to play around with the wheels in some way to trigger it.

And can you 'undo' the playing around? :unsure:

• barnes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2013 18:24 #77468 by barnes
Replied by barnes on topic Re:All about death wobble

mlines wrote: Death Wobble is easy identify, its not just a little shake, its when it shakes so bad you get white knuckles gripping the steering wheel and the passengers all shout "we are going to die"

There is no single cause and not necessarily a quick fix.

Suzuki designed the Jimny to be a tolerance fit, so no shims or preload were in the design.

Suzuki do not seem to recognise the issue although Suzuki Australia did produce shims.

However I have a plan........

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like a world suzuki take over lol

• Fung
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2013 06:14 #85136 by Fung
Replied by Fung on topic Re:All about death wobble
I'm a new owner of a 2000 Jimny and when I bought it it had no Death Wobble. Tbh I should have researched this site better cos I had to get new manual hubs for it (the vacuum pipes weren't even there) and one side kingpin bearings. After changing these items I got the dreaded Death Wobble. It was depressing to think I'd not only bought a Lemon, spent good money on it, then made it worse. I'd only had one wheel off so the next day I decided to remove the wheel and rotate it one nut at a time in the hope it would cure it.
I felt like an idiot when I realised I had fitted the wheel nuts the wrong way round. I'd done the work on my driveway and finished in the dark. Didn't notice that the wheel nuts had a chamfer on them.
When I re fitted the wheel nuts with the chamfer towards the wheel the Wobble had gone. I know I'm an a-hole for the oversight, but , I was wondering if others have done the same and spent a fortune replacing bits they don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Poyner111
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2013 11:07 #85163 by Poyner111
Replied by Poyner111 on topic Re:All about death wobble
Having posted just a few weeks ago that i run re-moulds with wheel spacers on alloys and no issue in the last week I have gained an issue between 35-40...now starting to extend to 45mph.
nothing changed on the car so heading to the local friendly balancing shop at the weekend for hopefully a quick fix...fingers crossed.

• Coletti
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2013 23:10 - 04 Oct 2013 23:16 #85218 by Coletti
Replied by Coletti on topic Re:All about death wobble
I'm running 235/75/15 special track on modulars and drive at 60 everywhere and have no wobble problems at all, all I have is play in the steering box so it wanders a little.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2013 23:16 by Coletti.

• jerry
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2013 14:12 #85309 by jerry
Replied by jerry on topic All about death wobble
I'm running offset rims and death wobble appeared all of a sudden one day, had a look underneath and noticed grease around the off side hub, changed the king pin bearings and seal on that side, wobble gone ;)

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds