BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Frighten me

More
15 Jun 2013 07:16 #73820 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Frighten me

markyp2000 wrote: the hard be is putting it back together with out having bits left over after weeeks of it being apart

Weeks????????Arghhhhhh. Surely not. It is a fairly quick job innit, well I changed Ford stem seals in a few hours back when cars had 8 valves and pushrods. :laugh: :laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2013 10:07 #73846 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Frighten me
Well to be honest if you have done this sort of job before it's no more difficult than the older cars.
A full head gasket set is around £60 on ebay plus valve stem seals and possibly new head bolts if needed.
Around £100/£150 should do it but probably less if you don't find anything serious.
I'm sure if you got all the bits and/or a good used head you should be able to easily do the job over a weekend inc lapping in valves etc.
Again if you got the bits any local mechanic(mobile or garage) should only take a day depending on their rates but even that is going to cost £250 +
I'm sure the people on here would put you right re dismantling the engine/head? :)

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
15 Jun 2013 10:17 #73849 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Frighten me
You need to find that old school back street mechanic in his late fifties who's looking forward to retirement but is just that bit too far away from it to do it who's worked on cars of all sorts for years and does things the old fashioned way and has reasonable old fashioned pricing, which gets him repeat custom so that he is always busy. He may have an apprentice but they have to work under his watchful eye and do things his way aswell as how they're taught at college.

His garage doors will be rotten wood with the name of the garage just visible as the paint is mostly gone.

He will also be called a mechanic or motor engineer, not a technician!

It's easy to describe him, its harder to find him though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
15 Jun 2013 13:30 #73862 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Frighten me

kirkynut wrote: You need to find that old school back street mechanic in his late fifties who's looking forward to retirement but is just that bit too far away from it to do it who's worked on cars of all sorts for years and does things the old fashioned way and has reasonable old fashioned pricing, which gets him repeat custom so that he is always busy. He may have an apprentice but they have to work under his watchful eye and do things his way aswell as how they're taught at college.

His garage doors will be rotten wood with the name of the garage just visible as the paint is mostly gone.

Kirkynut

Phil Mitchell. LOL

They are a disappearing breed. If I can't live with the smoking in the end I'll probably finish up doing it myself.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2013 15:15 #73868 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Frighten me

kirkynut wrote: You need to find that old school back street mechanic in his late fifties who's looking forward to retirement but is just that bit too far away from it to do it who's worked on cars of all sorts for years and does things the old fashioned way and has reasonable old fashioned pricing, which gets him repeat custom so that he is always busy. He may have an apprentice but they have to work under his watchful eye and do things his way aswell as how they're taught at college.

Kirkynut

Oh so very true ............... ;)

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds