BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:What did you do to your jimny today?

More
31 Dec 2022 19:17 #246602 by Soeley
I fitted my Bravo snorkel today. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2023 12:35 - 01 Jan 2023 12:36 #246615 by Scimike
Had a SHOUT AND RANT at it for being a petulant Jimny and rusting just for the hell of it.

Having spent my time keeping the underside rust free it's treated me to a new area to add to the rust list. It's been visible as a pimple for some time, but over Christmas it's finally emerged. The new area is
drum roll
the bonnet 
Rusted from within the double skin area, no reason or past damage to account for it.

Ok so next year I will be cutting it out, filling, waxoyling the bonnet and then I am going to get the bonnet and wing mirrors wrapped, black for a less cute look.
Can't decide if Matt black or fake carbon is the way to go. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jan 2023 12:36 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Jan 2023 14:46 #246618 by Lambert
Fake carbon. Definitely.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Jan 2023 16:41 #246638 by jackonlyjack
Show of the eml light.... Still running well
Read the code 

So fitted the one from my spares bag 

Attachments:

More
02 Jan 2023 17:57 - 02 Jan 2023 17:57 #246639 by DrRobin
My Jimny had a few stone chips on the front of the bonnet, but when I was doing those I also had to do a couple of rust spots on the roof, a few inches back from the windscreen.

There was no obvious damage area, it was fine when I bought the car and just developed. I rubbed it back, treated it and re-sprayed last summer.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 02 Jan 2023 17:57 by DrRobin.

More
07 Jan 2023 17:18 - 07 Jan 2023 17:39 #246748 by Scimike
Today I investigated my brakes before I fit my new EBC set.
Under light braking it feels like a wraped disc with an initial very slight pull to the left. It passed it's MOT 4 weeks ago with flying colours, so wasn't expecting what I found.

1) One slide pin on the drivers side has fused solid, it took heat and a lot of hammering to get it out.

2) The passenger side Kingpin bearings are moving, not sure why at the moment as no oil leak and no wobble.

I've thrown everything back together unit my new parts arrive.
The three take away points for me from today are:

1) I was surprised by the kingpin wobble. It is undetectable with the brake caliper fitted, but once removed it's very obvious so in future I'll check with the caliper off.

2) I was annoyed with the brake slider, it was done by me not so long ago...........but then I checked my Excel sheet of work undertaken (sad but that's me!) and found they got served 3 years and 7 months ago and had covered 31563 miles.

3) My life is flashing past and my perception of time is rubbish.
​​​​​​
EDit - the wraped disc (light braking) feel has gone.I DTi'ed each disk before removal and both were true. So this strange pulsing must have been the result of one solid slider pin not allowing the caliper to float.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 07 Jan 2023 17:39 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jan 2023 15:55 #246821 by Lambert
Today I have mostly been getting a clean MOT, which is nice.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Jan 2023 16:02 #246822 by CB1289
I'm about to change my Idle Air Control Valve on my 2001 Gen 3, as my idle seems to be misbehaving!

Any last minute words of advice or encouragement for a novice would be appreciated! 

More
16 Jan 2023 18:45 - 16 Jan 2023 18:45 #246949 by DrRobin
Took my Jimny along a snow covered lane to test the manual hubs and Maxxis Worm-Drive tyres.

I am very happy to report that both hubs and tyres performed to expectations, there was no wheel slip in 4x4.

Looking forward to a little more snow now, fingers crossed.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 16 Jan 2023 18:45 by DrRobin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, lookonimages

More
20 Jan 2023 13:41 #247038 by gv42
As it's snowing and cold , got the axles and arms cleaned and painted , fair bit more to do but getting there

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
22 Jan 2023 18:42 #247094 by Fossie
Changed the alternator .
1/2 job right? The obvious stubborn culprits , the bottom 8mm hex pivot bolt which lulls you with relative ease of undoing only to find it's a few mm longer than the gap between housing fan blades! However the wire connector wasn't for leaving its home!
The replacement unit joined in by the post for the earth being a midgesdidge further forward than the original so the strap didn't meet ....until a wire clamp was released to give it the play needed. .....and the mounting bracket . 75 mm wider .!
We won out in the end though it was a couple hours longer than hoped , with a tea break .....because if it won't work stop, have a cuppa and it slips in straightaway after!

More
25 Jan 2023 18:10 #247169 by gv42
Brushed off the rust , bit of zinc then black spray, getting there !

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds