BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny o2 soft top studs

• stba2006
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 13:02 - 18 Sep 2012 13:04 #48300 by stba2006
Jimny o2 soft top studs was created by stba2006
I just bought an "O2" Soft top yesterday, and a few of the studs seem to have disintegrated :lol: (both the upper and lower part).

The soft top itself is in great condition, so I'm just wondering if i can get hold of new studs and/or strips of velcro with the studs attached??

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 13:04 by stba2006. Reason: spelling mistake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2012 20:25 #48328 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Jimny o2 soft top studs
Hi there,
I have had two soft top Jim jams and have change a mk1 hood to mk2 and replaced a Mk2 hood (recently on my VVT).

Most Jimny Mk2's soft tops have stud problems. Stud alignment is the biggest problem. Easy to drop the hood, but most owners cant get the studs to fit when putting the hood back up. The issue is part knack but mainly Suzuki making a poor fit item.

The stud and rivets on the car body can rust and then causes the part on the hood to pull off.

I brought the male part kit (ie, the bits that fits on the body) from monsoon ( www.monsoon4x4.co.uk/Suzuki_Jimny_Soft_Tops.htm . You might be able to buy the Velcro covered metal rails complete with studs from them which will be an easy option.

If you go for the stud kit from monsoon, you will need a pop rivet gun and the correct size pop rivets. You may also need small stainless washers too. Remove the Velcro rails and pop rivet from the outside of the car in. other wise you will have a ugly lump in the middle of the stud that will stop the hood from attaching. I found that by pop riveting loosely I could then reposition the studs to obtain the best fit for the hood.

The nice lady at monsoon will tell you the story about Suzuki copying the Mk2 design from their design and making a poor copy which never fitted properly.

I have a Mk2 hood in the garage that has the a couple of studs missing. yet to look into finding replacements parts, so that i can flog it.

I ended up re positioning the studs on the body so that the hood is real easy to fit.

The rails from monsoon have a single strip of Velcro which is glued to the outside of the rail only, where as the standard Suzuki part has the whole rail covered (including the back of the rail). Both can rust, so you might want to recondition the parts you have.

On my last Jimny ( 2002 G13) I brought the monsoon hood with rails to replace the old Mk1 hood and it was easy to fit and worked perfectly without any adjustment required.

IMO a soft top that is is easy to use is a must, so that you have no reason not to use it.

The knack to putting up a Mk2 standard issue Suzuki rear hood, is to fit the rear window and attach the corner and window studs before locking the hood to the roof. finally attach the side studs.

Good luck and let us know if you find a supplier for the hood studs.

Cheers

Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• stba2006
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 09:27 #48346 by stba2006
Replied by stba2006 on topic Jimny o2 soft top studs
I agree about the soft top needing to be easy to use, and can't wait to give it real go, when/if we get some better weather :laugh:

Thank-you for this. It's a huge help

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 09:43 #48347 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Jimny o2 soft top studs
I had to make my own rear rail (long story) but just got some studs off ebay...

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds