BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bumpers, Bulls & Bo&&ocks

More
09 Jun 2011 20:14 - 09 Jun 2011 20:15 #17587 by Halford
TOPIC: Brindog's Rig - Martin wrote

I don't think you can do this in the UK anymore anyway. I think that there was a change law in 2007 that means you have to retain the original manufacturers crash protection at the front of the vehicle or use an approved replacement. This makes it very difficult to fit anything to the front of a post-2007 car without a lot of expense.

Being a 2007 owner I've been trying to see how any regs may be applicable ........

"As of 25th May 2007, it became illegal to manufacture and sell metal bull bars that do not comply with EU legislation for pedestrian protection (Directive 2005/66/EC)"

I can't find anything definitive regarding owners fitting bumpers/bars - are there any MOT testers reading this ?

To me it looks like owners can still fit these, as mfrs still sell them - maybe Rob can advise on this

and we can still buy these (note how the ones on sale now don't rise above the bumper)

so I'm not sure if I could have something like darthloachie's (note how it is the same height as the bonnet)

This is interesting ........ Would this cause an MOT failure?
Your bumper has been seriously damaged in an accident so you have taken it off and the bumper irons stick out dangerously. Answer - No, because a dangerous protrusion only results in a failure if it arises because the bodywork has either been damaged or is corroded.

Does anyone know what the bottom line is ? :unsure:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2011 20:15 by Halford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2011 05:04 - 10 Jun 2011 05:05 #17594 by mlines
I though the regulation was around "modification of the manufacturers frontal safety features". So as the stock bumper has been tested and approved as part of the crash testing etc. it cannot be modified.

It could well come under "construction and use" rather than the MOT regs.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 05:05 by mlines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds