BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Convertible or Tin Top?

More
15 Aug 2009 12:48 - 15 Aug 2009 12:58 #1141 by trickie
Hi everyone, first post so be gentle.

I'm looking for a Jimny to use for work and a bit of green laning, the terrain I'll be using it on varies from rutted woodland to rocky river beds to boggy farm fields - i've done my homework on mods available [lifting etc] but im unsure whether to go for the Hard top or Soft top - a soft top would suit my needs better but i have a few concerns..

My question's are -

How does the Convertible compare to the Tintop off road, are they as rigid?

Does the roof leak badly if at all?

Also is there a *Hardtop available for the convertible in the UK? If so.. where from and how much.

Cheers Trickie B)

*a hardtop is a must due to me carrying alot of camera equipment in the back - wouldn't want thieves dipping in just by popping the soft top buttons.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2009 12:58 by trickie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2009 13:24 #1143 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Convertible or Tin Top?
I chose a hard top, having had a soft top SJ (which we still have). The reasons I chose a hrad top Jimny were for security as a soft top can not really be locked up properly and to make it nice and quiet and warm.

I imagine the modern soft top does not leak but do not have one to comment on really.

Have you seen he price of a replacement soft top for the Jimny though, should it get damaged off road or by vandalism??? They cost a small fortune!!!

There are hardtops available but even 2nd hand they are extremely expensive and new they are rediculously expensive. 2nd hand they are impossible to find though.

I don't think rigidity is an issue really. The vehicle is a tin shell on a ladder chassis and it is the chassis that has and needs the strength, unlike a modern car shell. If you were worried about rolling it, get a roll cage! Your car would be a mess after a roll without one!

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
17 Aug 2009 07:54 #1145 by jonplace
Replied by jonplace on topic Re:Convertible or Tin Top?
get a tin top.

i have a soft top and although its nice for some things the security is a real problem as the rear window simply zips off. mine is garaged but i'd never leave it out on the street
however, it is nice in the summer the roof panel above the front seats also opens

PRO's
its nice to get he hood down in the sun
lighter than the tin top
not much glass to smash when off roading
doesnt leak (yet) and i've been out in some heavy rain

CON's
soft tops are spanish built and i've read of poor reliability mainly with electric systems
NO security as said above, rear window simply zips off
expensive to repair / replace
cant put anything on the roof, some friends have waffle boards mounted on theirs

More
20 Aug 2009 08:54 #1168 by wildfire
Replied by wildfire on topic Re:Convertible or Tin Top?
I have one of the early softtops, (removable side windows) and it is great when the suns out. Security wise, so far i have not had a problem and i park on the driveway. I dont leave any valuables in the open and i have put a large ammo box which is attached to the car by a very strong cable to keep the tool kit / ropes etc safe from theifs.Only thing i would surgets is to get the new type soft top as the clips on mine have broken very easily and my side window flaps a bit when i do 60mph!

Oh if you do go for a softtop if it is a 2001 version, check what type of Cat it has, as apparently they used a different version for a couple of months, which is a not compatible with the normal version and about £60 more expensive!

More
23 Aug 2009 20:08 #1183 by trickie
Replied by trickie on topic Re:Convertible or Tin Top?
Thanks for the replies fellas - i've decided to go for a tin top after non-stop searching for the past two weeks for a convertible hard top supplier [came up with nothing]

Tis a pitty because the convertible would better suit my needs.. but i park in some pretty ruff areas, so i cant take the risk of a easy smash and grab :(

Again thanks everyone B)

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds