BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

superwinch s2500? is it ok for a jimy?

More
11 Aug 2009 16:57 #1118 by Garry
as title says, ive been offerd a superwinch s2500 cheap and was thinking of fitting it to my jimny, would be used to recover me only

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2009 11:43 #1122 by kirkynut
I'd say it's a bit small really. When you adda a gradient or being stuck in mud massively increases the weight that the winch will have to pull. I'd say 6000ib is the minimum really.

Rob

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
14 Aug 2009 07:23 #1131 by jonplace
if its really cheap then its probably worth a try, you could use it in conjunction with a snatch block to increase the line pull but this will heavily reduce the speed - maybe enough for light recovery. as kirky said if you're in deep its more than the car you're trying to move
if its just a tad cheaper than list price then i'd pay the extra for something more powerful

More
14 Aug 2009 08:15 - 14 Aug 2009 08:18 #1132 by mlines
Garry,

I know from reading elsewhere that you have now gone for a different type of winch, so the advice below is just general.

Winch ratings are misleading. The line pull capability is dependant on the number of layers of wire left on the winch drum at any point. The strongest pull is when the cable is fully spooled out and is therefore forming the first layer on the drum, in the case of the superwinch this is where you would get your 2500lbs pull.

As each layer winds onto the drum the pulling power gets less, for example the second layer on some winches sees a reduction by 20% of the pulling power and then 12% per layer afterwards.

Therefore for a short line pull (most of the cable still on the drum) a 2500lbs winch capacity is severely reduced.

The Superwinch 2500 is described as a trailer/ATV winch for hauling boats and cars onto trailers or recovering Quads, therefore it seems to assume the "vehicle" in question is not disabled and is therefore a rolling (or floating pull).

I also note that at 2500 pull it moves at 6 feet per minute, that is pretty slow, if you were to snatch block it then that halves the speed - 3 feet per minute.

I have a 9000lbs winch on my Jimny and it copes fine. I had a 6000lbs winch and burnt it out on a winch to a punch on a steep hill.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 14 Aug 2009 08:18 by mlines.

More
14 Aug 2009 08:16 #1133 by mlines
But if its really cheap I have a boat that needs winching onto a trailer and the handwinch is getting to be hard work...

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Aug 2009 14:11 #1136 by Garry
Thanks for the replys

mlines, the guy selling the s2500 is asking £100, its ex forestry commision, fitted in the back of a ford ranger

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds