BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

restoration after 10 years in the driveway

More
07 Aug 2020 10:19 #226216 by Mr CC
starting this thread to show the restoration of my jimny after a long time in the driveway. about a month ago I changed the oil and put new plugs in. The engine was running nicely so decided to progress.
Will add some photos later tonight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2020 00:51 - 08 Aug 2020 00:58 #226293 by Mr CC
some early photos from a month ago before I started taking things apart
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 00:58 by Mr CC.

More
08 Aug 2020 01:00 #226294 by Mr CC
not many photos inbetween, but got to this stage after a fight with the power steering rack. had to take it off to renew a bent pipe adapter.
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2020 01:04 #226295 by Mr CC
the early stages of the engine bay before taking brackets off, wire brushing and grinding (good to have a pillar drill)
its not just paint. did an oil change and put new spark plugs in, the engine was running sweet as ever, so it gave me the push to carry on with the car.
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2020 01:07 #226296 by Mr CC
finished engine bay and front. no need to go back until its time to put the plastics back
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2020 01:15 #226297 by Mr CC
got a few more photos for tomorrow, but need to get them in order.
painted the tank and protector.
painted the underfloor that the tank was hiding with silver hammerite yesterday after I had attacked it with the wire brush on the grinder.
covered it with white stone chip today.
my aim is to have a nice protective paint job underneath, unfortunately my aim is not very good :laugh:
seriously I will finish off the chassis painting and brackets tomorrow
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2020 06:08 #226301 by Lambert
Where are you based, that Jimny seems to have survived exceptionally well for an untreated vehicle? Living outside in the UK even avoiding the corrosive winter roads I would have expected it to be almost certainly in need of the welder after 10 years.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Aug 2020 10:02 #226326 by Soeley

More
08 Aug 2020 11:41 #226337 by Mr CC
I havent showed the photos of the boot floor and inner sills yet. it has Jimny disease though I have good metal just before the slope for the back of the rear seats. and I need to construct a valance above the rear body mounts. waiting to hear from the garage next week for some advice,
doing what I can for now until I can make a plan. I have some 4mm angled steel that I plan to put under the rear mounts.to go along the full width of the rear, and would give a good platform for a new floor piece. will post a quick photo now, more to come later.

More
08 Aug 2020 11:46 #226338 by Mr CC
thanks. I had to keep degreasing then power washing with detergent then rinsing about 5 times over. before painting. I took all the brackets out including the radiator brackets, as it helped me get to the chassis mounts, power steering and behind the radiator. Wire brushed everything on the pillar drill, then painted with hammerite.

More
08 Aug 2020 11:51 - 08 Aug 2020 11:56 #226341 by Mr CC
the infamous jimny floor.
have meticulously went along the whole chassis with hammerite, washing and degreasing as described before. now with the tank out I can get to all the chassis parts that were impossible before.
planning to renew the brake pipes at the rear before the tank goes back in. might do the fuel lines but its the connections from the flexible to the metal that could be tricky. if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 11:56 by Mr CC.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2020 12:00 #226342 by Lambert
Ah so maybe not quite as clean as first thought. You are still doing a good thing though keeping another on the road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds