BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Aug 2019 12:40 #211982 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Bit wet around Cumbria today, so picked a nice lane with a firm base for the way home. Some decent puddles tho...

M18 is running in well. Had a trip up the M6 briefly and its perfectly happy at motorway speeds now, maybe revving a bit higher than I would like at 70, but its ok. Lots more poke! managed to loose grip setting off a few times on the wet roads :huh: Maybe should put the rear locker on and go round some roundabouts :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 17:03 #212399 by GF68
Replied by GF68 on topic Ulysses
Just spent the afternoon reading this thread from start to finish, what a totally amazing job, you must be well chuffed with the outcome.

So hope you make it to the meet up so we get to this beast in the flesh.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Aug 2019 17:42 #212404 by Riccy
Thanks, yes pleased with it but its a lot of work. It certainly gets the attention when your out and about.

Sadly the meet is 1) a 6hr+ drive for me at sub 20mpg and 2) on the same day as an annual outing with friends around the lakes, so its a no from me i'm afraid. Maybe a Northern meet is in order to rebalance it in my favor? :laugh:

Before that I have an outing to Drumclog off-road park this weekend, near Glasgow with a load of Geordies from GLASS Northumberland which i'm looking forwards to and some new bits to fit onto Ulysses beforehand,

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2019 08:38 #212646 by Riccy
Trip to Drumclog pay-and-play site yesterday with the NE4x4 Laners group.

Superb time had bashing around the 1600 acre site. The only rule is 'dont die. If you do you were never here'. The briefing showed us where the boundaries are and which bits are steep, boggy, etc. Then they turn you loose. Lots of MX bikes and quads flying about and a few other 4x4 groups to watch out for.

Ulysses excelled and as it was one of only two vehicles in our group with a winch, it dragged out a Ford ranger, Defender 90, Jeep Commander and LR Discovery, as well as itself after I got it stuck. Thats a Winchmax winch with synthetic rope and a standard battery :ohmy:

Did suffer a flat tyre by rolling it off the bead as I was pulling out the discovery, should cleanup and refit, though the balance will be terrible!

Pics and vids (Some pics courtesy of Darren Clark):

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Aug 2019 09:07 #212648 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Way to go, international rescue! Looks like a fun place though it could take a while to learn where everything is on 1600 acre!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
25 Aug 2019 09:16 #212649 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Ulysses
Great videos - great place. Thank you very much for sharing! One day I want to go there, but it is very far away from me.

I have a question: In Drumclog3 you tow out a car with the belt and you do it in reverse. Why in reverse? I would be afraid to damage the front axels, especially with the diff locker engaged and therefore I would try to get the load on the rear axel.

Thank you again!

More
25 Aug 2019 12:15 #212652 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Ulysses
Great videos, I bet it was a good feeling pulling the big'ns out of the mud.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2019 12:24 #212653 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:Ulysses
Its not bad to navigate around Lambert. They give you a map and there are clear boundaries. Its sort of split into 3 by big hills and rivers. Butty van and toilets in the middle of it all. The guys there give you plenty of info about what conditions are like in different places.

Theres a few reasons why I do recoveries in reverse. This Jimny has 26 spline HD front shafts, but still standard rear ones (so in my case the front axle is stronger than the rear). I can see where the towed vehicle is easier. I had a strop already there and ready to go as well. I think its slightly higher geared in reverse low as well than 1st gear, which also helps. Finally it has beefier tow points on the winch bumper than at the back.

Drumclog3 was a light tug only, the more serious one I forgot to video. That was the discovery. I had to be pulled from the rear by another car whilst winching at the front. Thought I was going to get a stretched Jimny :laugh: The Jeep also took a fair bit of snatching to get it out. With Hindsight I wouldnt try pulling out such heavy vehicles again, but its good to know I can ;-)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Aug 2019 12:30 - 25 Aug 2019 12:32 #212654 by Riccy

Soeley wrote: Great videos, I bet it was a good feeling pulling the big'ns out of the mud.

Epic B)

Though I did feel a little 'over dressed' for the group. Only one with twin lockers and a winch, decent tyres, etc. They seemed to be having just as much fun, without all the expensive toys (until they got stuck!)

Last edit: 25 Aug 2019 12:32 by Riccy.

More
25 Aug 2019 14:55 #212657 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Cracking stuff Riccy, you've built a proper piece of kit there.... Pulling twice your weight and succeeding....

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
13 Sep 2019 16:13 - 13 Sep 2019 16:25 #213482 by Riccy
I had booked this friday off as a prep day for going lanin' to Strata Florida in Wales, but that trip got cancelled. Still decided to have a good going over Ulysses to check for the source of annoying rattles.

Top of the list was clunks from the front axle on dips in the road. Source was loose bolts on the radius arms and front shocks. All tightened up well.

Another noise issue identified was that the rear engine mount (on the back of the gearbox) was 1) missing the bolt, 2) bolts onto gearbox loose, 3) bush broken on stick linkage and 4) too low so the prop was hitting the stick linkage.

So tightened up and replaced bolt & bush. Used spare spacer rubber to lift gearbox up on its mount. One of the gearbox to bracket bolts has sheared off :angry: A problem for another day perhaps.

test drive and it works much better now. Quiet and no knocks or rattles.

The only picture I remembered to take was just after washing it however...

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Sep 2019 16:25 by Riccy.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
13 Sep 2019 16:34 #213483 by Riccy
Oh yes... another annoying noise was the clutch pedal. It was stiff and made a groan noise every time pushed. I had wondered if this has been brought on by the excedy HD clutch, but no...

I had a spare clutch cable that had come out of J999MNY when chasing problems, so stuffed it full of as much of Martin's blue waterproof grease as I could and swapped them over.

Side by side when out of the car they both moved easily. If I replicated the bend radius 'as fitted' the used one fitted is miles better than the old one.

Result is a nice light, sharp clutch and no noise :-)

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds