BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jul 2019 16:12 #211099 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
That is an excellent way to test drive a new car. Really impressive for such a short build too. You should be proud of yourself!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2019 21:19 #211107 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Brilliant great build and I'm sure you'll have a few more battle scars along the way ;)

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Jul 2019 17:04 #211251 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Thankyou for the kind words!

Electrical issue I had forgotten to mention...

On the outing last weekend I noticed that when turning on the side-lights the ABS light comes on. Stays on until ignition turned off and back on. Brakes work, but haven't tried hard enough to see if the ABS is actually working.

I suspect the LED rear lights. Maybe I need a resistor in the brake light or side light as well as the indicators? This is maybe to do with the good-old 'negative' switching that is used on Jimnys?

In other news, the A/C compressor being stuck on is causing frosting of the pipes and something in the heater matrix area, which leads to it leaking out of an over-flow pipe near the exhaust and dripping into the passenger footwell. As this is an existing problem, I suspect it may have contributed to the severe rust of the passenger footwell area, in comparison to the driver side. Its either fix the clutch or bypass it and remove A/C. Obvs fixing the compressor clutch is my choice ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Jul 2019 17:10 #211252 by Riccy
Its also decision time on which one to keep, Ulysses or J999MNY???

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Jul 2019 19:14 #211259 by Lambert
If both isn't an option, then combing the best bits of each into the better condition vehicle?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Jul 2019 20:16 #211333 by Riccy
Had endless hassle trying to find the correct replacement pipe for the exhaust to match the back box I have. All of the ones the motor factors had were shaped to work with a different back box to the existing one, meaning nearly £140 for a pipe and box, instead of just £30ish for the pipe bit. Got annoyed and decided to fix it instead :laugh:

Short length of scaffold tube cut and welded on to sleeve it. Works pretty well...

and the garage landlord has had a spare tyre cover made for me in the same tarp material as the loadbed cover. Looks ok so just had to fight with getting a length of strong elastic cord into the bottom seam and its looking ok. Still think the tyre on the roof looks a bit daft, itll do for now tho.

Then it was off to visit mam, but of course taking in a few lanes whilst in the Alston area (rude not to B) ). Avoided the riskier ones as riding solo, but Blagill 1 video has a heart racing drop to start off the road :ohmy:

Ayle:

Blagill 1:

Blagill 2:

North Hudgill:

Garrigill ford:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me, Reason2doubt

More
22 Jul 2019 09:56 #211389 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Ulysses
I love this build and how it has stayed true to the Jimny underpinnings, rather than have fancy axles and a zillion link suspension.

It's one cool build!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 Jul 2019 17:28 #211542 by Riccy
OK, confession time.

A while ago forum member Sniper had been fortunate enough to come across a brand new M18 vvt engine. I was lucky enough to acquire it from him (his finance fuhrer wouldnt release funds to fit it sadly). I also acquired a M13 vvt from James Priestly to use for all the donor bits.

Its been wrapped up in the garage beside Ulysses for a while now, and with J999MNY already having a M16 it seemed a shame to take that out of it.

So I have decided to put it into Ulysses :ohmy: (to justify the epic handling ;-) :laugh: )

Today was swapping bits over from the donor M13...

removed the oil pan and oil pickup from the M13 and cleaned up/fitted the pan and pickup to the M18..

M13:

M18:

A quick snap up inside the bottom of the engine while its in bits:

B) nice and clean in there

Then it was swap the flywheel and new clutch...

M13 flywheel is on the right, a little slimmer and different size:

I also swapped the little bearing in the middle over as the donor flywheel one was knackered, and the M18 bearing was brand new.

Clutch next. Excedy safari tuff (from the bigjimny store of course):

It did say on the store listing that the clutch cover colour may differ. Not sure why this one is pink, but it looks a meaty thing.

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 Jul 2019 17:34 #211543 by Riccy
Oil filter next. Removed the angled liana spec one and put in the new oil filter stand by cutting a grove into it for a washer to fit in. New filter in and looking good.

Next was to start swapping the ancillaries, wiring and brackets over.

The front coolant outlet was blanked on the M18 head, so removed this from the donor M13 and transferred ok

Load of brackets and the belt tensioner:

Rocker cover next (the dipstick is in the wrong place for the Jimny sump to work so you have to swap the cover over):

Clear to see which is the new engine here. So much cleaner inside :laugh:

ready for manifolds:

Going to need to sort out the manifolds better in the long run, the ports on the M18 are way bigger than the Jimny manifolds :unsure:

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Jul 2019 18:06 #211545 by Lambert
You are going to need the load bed full of fresh pants for every time you encounter a corner! Not envious. Honestly. Much.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 Jul 2019 18:24 #211546 by Riccy

Lambert wrote: You are going to need the load bed full of fresh pants for every time you encounter a corner! Not envious. Honestly. Much.

:laugh: lols, yes.. in a way;

It defo needs more weight over the back end. It was much better carrying a engine crane I'd borrowed back home today, than on the way there. Some sandbags or similar might be needed for serious driving :laugh:

You should come and have a go when I get this sorted ;-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
27 Jul 2019 18:30 #211547 by Lambert
Yeah defo. Fast. Faster. Fastest! Weapons of mass humiliation.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds