BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2014 13:08 - 17 Jun 2014 13:09 #118071 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...

Busta wrote: 1. Deflate tyre
2. Wedge deflated tyre between stays
3. Inflate tyre.

Da dah! Tyre held securely without straps!

Fantastic idea! B)

The only downfall I can see is that you'd then have to deflate the spare to get it out, and then reinflate it to fit... not good if you're blocking a single track mountain road -

(from our trip to the Lake District the weekend before last, where Brett & Gary worked like an F1 pitcrew to change the wheel and get off the road!)

2014Nathan wrote: Looking real good now Dave! :)

Thanks Nathan, they look good in blue don't they (the best colour) ;)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2014 13:09 by Bits4Vits.
The topic has been locked.
  • jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2014 15:49 #118078 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Surely your ARB compressor will inflate a tyre in no time?!
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2014 16:52 #118080 by Bits4Vits

jonesyba420 wrote: Surely your ARB compressor will inflate a tyre in no time?!

I'll have to temporary wire it up and have a play ;)
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2014 22:28 #118175 by Bits4Vits
Worked out today that my spare (235/75/15) will have to sit sloped back onto the stays of the rollhoop -

- so that I get enough line of sight out of the hard-top rear window -

So I cut a piece of seamless tube to suit -

... with a slitting disk in Mr. Angry the angle grinder... and then with a grinding disk in -

- shaped it to suit B)

... just waiting welding in on Sunday when I have more time, and I'll add tabs to hold the tops of the ORA / Luke tyre harness straps...

... to link to the loop that will be welded onto the rear door sill, now the trim has been neatly hole-sawed to suit...

And I also made a foot plate bracket for the Hi-Lift -

Et Voila -

So that will be added on Sunday too...

And I'll also steal my waterproof bucket seat out of the Zukhini LWB Vitara :( , and transplant that into the Jimny... B)
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2014 22:36 #118176 by Bits4Vits
Meanwhile, I'd also been making some mounts for a couple of tote boxes I've ordered today from www.bigdug.com to match these two I'd borrowed from the shop (magazine return boxes) -

Which will leave enough room for a tool box to the side of them -

And that's my storage half-sorted...

Main recovery gear - snatch block, tow rope, and tree strop will be mounted easily accessible when the rear door is opened - so somewhere above / over the spare...

And due to the lack of space in the Jimny, I'll probably have to store some stuff in the passenger footwell? which will also help balance the little truck and keep all the weight down low...?
  • JimnyKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2014 00:23 #118183 by JimnyKarl
Replied by JimnyKarl on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
looks good Dave. nice storage solution for the back with roll cage.
More
19 Jun 2014 06:19 #118189 by mlines
How about some storage boxes fitted over the wheel arch???

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
  • funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
19 Jun 2014 15:01 - 19 Jun 2014 15:02 #118211 by funkyjimny
Very nice Dave ! I'm tempted to rip out the plastics on the rear side panels see how much space I gain

Gary
Last edit: 19 Jun 2014 15:02 by funkyjimny.
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2014 16:44 #118219 by Bits4Vits
All depends how much we actually need to carry?...

I'm trying to get organised, but then don't want to carry too much weight either... (there's a joke there somewhere Gary! :whistle: )

... so started writing a list B)

Somethings need to be more accessible than others too... Tree Strop, Gloves, etc...
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2014 16:45 - 19 Jun 2014 16:47 #118220 by Bits4Vits
Nice new blue tote boxes arrived today too, photos in Sundays blog / this build thread update...

(I can't / shouldn't / wouldn't pinch them from the newspaper wholesaler... they're all barcoded so they know where they are too!)
Last edit: 19 Jun 2014 16:47 by Bits4Vits.
  • funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
19 Jun 2014 17:26 #118223 by funkyjimny

Bits4Vits wrote:
I'm trying to get organised, but then don't want to carry too much weight either... (there's a joke there somewhere Gary! :whistle: )

It's a good thing you're as slim as a racing snake then Dave as it looks like you are planning loads of extra weight in the car !
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2014 12:24 #118425 by Bits4Vits
Had a nice full day on the Jimny yesterday, as always, full details and all the photos are on My Blog , but last night by the time I'd finished at 7pm, showered, and then full of lager and kebab, I just wanted to sleep. so hence the update today!

The roll hoop is now finished and ready for powdercoating, complete with Hi-Lift mount, crossbar for the tyre to sit against, tabs for the tyres strap, worklight in the back, and little hoops for tying other bits in if needed...

I then disassembled the Jimny's drivers seat -

And then combined it with my trusty old waterproof bucket seat -

And then spent a couple of hours playing with my new Dremmel ("Master" Angry - not like big Mr. Angry!), and made -

My switch panel... So... what are all them switches for?! Top row, left to right, are front LED spotlight bar (got a 21" one from JimnyBits incase of night 'laning / late finishes), then there's two pairs of winch switches, I didn't want the switches "live" all the time, so they each have a yellow aircraft switch that must be switched on before the in/out rocker switch to the right of them become active. There's a switch for the rear winch as well as the front, I've already bought this, but won't be fitting it for a while yet, in phase two of the build... Phase one is get enough done to get out 'laning by the third weekend in July... The bottom row of switches then are for a rear 4-LED spotlight on the rear, and then obviously the ARB compressor and Rear Locker switch, there's then a gap in the middle... but no, no front locker... I'm planning on grafting a Vitara front LSD into the front axle, with some of Rob Storr's 26 Spline Shafts! That gap will soon get filled though, a switch for the rear internal worklight is needed, and I'd like a horn push in the middle too, linked two a pair of decent horns, but still retaining the cute "Peep Peep" horn via the steering wheel push...
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds