× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
08 Aug 2015 12:44 #149398 by X8GGY
Might have to be balancing beads!

The second tyre bay only managed to balance two of the five wheels and tyres, the other three would have required more weights than they could physically attach to the wheels?! I'll get a second opinion from a mate though next week...

So the two that they did manage to balance will have to go on the front, obviously...

Even inflated the tyres are still only 9" wide, which is great for my application, i.e. on the little Jimny, but I'd be a bit peeved if I had a bigger 4x4 and my 275 tyres (therefore should be 11") measured 9" wide...

So I'm not impressed with Black Star remoulds so far... :(
The topic has been locked.
  • gusthegorilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2015 12:51 #149399 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Can someone please explain to Gus the thicko what balancing beads are, and how they work?

Cheers,

Gus :)
More
08 Aug 2015 12:54 #149401 by X8GGY
www.dynabeads.co.uk/index.php

Just looking myself...

Looks like another £70 then ?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla
More
08 Aug 2015 13:03 #149403 by X8GGY

Dyna Beads Website wrote: Dyna Beads dynamically balance tyre wheel combination that are within manufacturers build tolerances. Dyna Beads are not designed to balance tyre wheel combinations which are badly moulded (can happen with BFG's), rims which are buckled etc. Dyna Beads is not a magic white potion in a bottle. Dyna Beads does not cure badly adjusted wheel bearings, lifted vehicles with incorrect camber ( standard Mitsubishi wishbone used with a lift for example) shagged track rod ends, steering boxes & bent chassis!

Hmmm... :(
  • Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2015 13:03 #149404 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
I have seen the thread on here before about these has anyone actually used them??

Sorry should we move this off your build thread Dave??
  • gusthegorilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2015 13:04 #149405 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Thanks, Dave ;)

Very ingenious...do we know anyone on here who actually has them fitted?
Some constructive feedback would be nice, and if they work as well as they're supposed to, there must be unlimited scope for their use among Jimny owners alone B)
More
08 Aug 2015 13:05 #149406 by X8GGY
I'll mod the arches soon and fit them and see what it's like, then consider my options if necessary...
  • gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2015 14:47 #149415 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Having fitted many a mud remould tyre to various rims and balancing them for mates and customers ive experienced this problem,whats worth a try with the problem wheels is get a garage or who ever to crack the bead back off and spin the tyre round 180 degrees then reinflate and rebalance this has worked for me on a couple of occasions.worth a shot.
More
08 Aug 2015 15:31 - 08 Aug 2015 21:36 #149419 by Jezz
I've got beads in my tyres because the weights got dragged off every off road trip, Not the ones mentioned above but .20g airsoft bb's to the recommended weight for the tyre size(33-13.50-15), As this is what the Yanks use as substitute.
My verdict is they work sort of?. I had slight death wobble before the beads with standard stick on balance weights, it is now at a different speed since changing to beads. I don't think the recommended weight for the tyres I have is enough, So I'm going to double it and see what happens. Sorry for the hijack Dave.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2015 21:36 by Jezz. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla
More
08 Aug 2015 15:49 #149420 by mlines
I thought kirkynut ran balancing beads?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
More
08 Aug 2015 21:46 - 08 Aug 2015 21:47 #149470 by kirkynut
Yes I do run balancing beads, these ones :

www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.bro...virtuemart&Itemid=14

Take the advice they give about going a size bigger for aggressive tread patterns what with them being remoulds.

I'll never mess about with wheel weights on an off roader again.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 08 Aug 2015 21:47 by kirkynut.
More
13 Aug 2015 10:03 #149730 by Jezz
Just to add to this, I upped the amount of airsoft bbs to 400 grams ( 14 ounces in old money ) and everything seems to be good. I get a little wheel shimmy at 35ish mph but i can live with that. So 10000 bbs for 18 quid and all four wheels balanced.

Again sorry for the hi-jack Dave.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds