BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2014 20:25 #108486 by greenjimny
PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION was created by greenjimny
been fitting one of these into my jimny for the last week or so B)

not been taking pics much just been getting it done lol

pleased to say its defo taking shape now with only a few things left on the list of mods

engine is mounted , wired , plumbed , exhausted

clutch is sorted gearstick sorted

need to sort the rear box mount , propshaft , new fuel line , and a few bit of wiring for ancilliaries

1900 DW8 , pilot box
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2014 20:43 #108492 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION
Cool, how easy was it? Does it shut lower with that extra weight in?

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2014 21:22 #108500 by greenjimny
Replied by greenjimny on topic PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION
forgot to measure with the 1600 in it lol , think it dropped 3" ... no engine - engine box fitted so prob
not much of a difference at all

• chris2010
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2014 18:57 #111250 by chris2010
Replied by chris2010 on topic PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION
This is a conversion iv had the intentions of starting .
Engine box is out of mine . And have the engine and box from a 1.9 td 306 with pilot box ready to go in,

How did you get on , adapting the clutch operating mechanisms from hydraulic to cable ?

Or did you use hydraulic through out,?

Some pics of this would be handy if you have any

Good luck with it all

Also how did levers locate in the car through the original hole?

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2014 17:09 #111827 by greenjimny
hi mate was watching your post closely but with no new updates i went it alone lol

hydraulic clutch , its taking a bit of getting used to cos of the short travel on the pedal but works fine ;)

the stick came through the tunnel slightly further forward than the original one but this will depend on where you mount your engine of course !

i dare say that if its mounted extremely tight to the bulkhead it would pretty much be in the same place as standard but ive mounted mine forward quite a bit the drawback of this is that the bonnet was hitting the inlet manifold but a trip to the scrapyard and five mins with a cutting disc soon mounted a scoop B)

the upside is that ive got loads of room around it to work on it and plenty space for a turbo lump when one turns up cheep cheep :)

• chris2010
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2014 08:44 #111969 by chris2010
Replied by chris2010 on topic PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION
unfortunatly iv had my younger brothers car stuck in my garage for the last 4 months so , only just starting,

what clutch master cylinder did you use ?

i know from experience with rangers, if you put an adjusterable rod between pedal and master cylinder you should be able to adjust where on the pedal it bites.

what radiator did you use in front of yours ?

was there much clearance between sump and front axle?

last question i promise lol , did you use standard ldv engine mounts ?

cant wait to get started in the next week or so.

More
12 Apr 2014 16:29 #111992 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION
It'll be interesting to hear what this is like once fitted. I'd have gone for something with at least as much power as the 1.3 but I guess the economy will make up for it?

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2014 19:03 #113410 by greenjimny

chris2010 wrote: unfortunatly iv had my younger brothers car stuck in my garage for the last 4 months so , only just starting,

what clutch master cylinder did you use ?

i know from experience with rangers, if you put an adjusterable rod between pedal and master cylinder you should be able to adjust where on the pedal it bites.

what radiator did you use in front of yours ?

was there much clearance between sump and front axle?

last question i promise lol , did you use standard ldv engine mounts ?

cant wait to get started in the next week or so.

hi mate eh think it was land rover engine mounts i used cos there shorter than the ldv ones ,the clutch master cylinder was off of the ldv so fited the pipe etc perfectly although placement on the bulkhead took a bit of thinking about .

the only place that was suitable meant i had to adjust the pedal to suit :whistle: so now theres a foot resting space between that and the brake pedal ;) :laugh: .

the radiator is a black spot im afraid :( was at a mates telling him what i was up to and he dug out an all brass built radiator that was laying in the rafters of his garage and kindly donated it to the build , it fitted snugly :cheer:

plenty clearance for the sump mate but as i said my engine touched the bonnet but only by 10 mm maybe

ill try and get some pics on of my solutions to the problems i came up against and if there any good then by all means do the same or indeed improve on them :)

jimnys currently sitting with the front chopped off it so i can strengthen the chassis legs for mounting my winch plate onto so i should get a decent pic of clearance for you and also the mounting plates for the engine

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2014 19:12 #113411 by greenjimny

Busta wrote: It'll be interesting to hear what this is like once fitted. I'd have gone for something with at least as much power as the 1.3 but I guess the economy will make up for it?

standard 13b 70bhp

standard dw8 70bhp

standard xu9dt 90bhp

difference in torque petrol to diesel - a shitload :laugh:

More
27 Apr 2014 01:45 #113439 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic PUG 1900 DIESEL CONVERSION

greenjimny wrote:

Busta wrote: It'll be interesting to hear what this is like once fitted. I'd have gone for something with at least as much power as the 1.3 but I guess the economy will make up for it?

standard 13b 70bhp

standard dw8 70bhp

standard xu9dt 90bhp

difference in torque petrol to diesel - a shitload :laugh:

DW8 94 ft lb
M13A 81 ft lb
M16A (£300 Liana engine) 105 ft lb

Not really 'a shitload', although the diesel will be at much lower revs so better for going slowly :woohoo: (a rocklobster achieves the same thing though)
Not saying they aren't great engines- the XU especially. Is there room for the turbo and intercooler? Get an XU with a lucas pump and with a few minutes fiddling with the pump you can have about 110hp, lots of black smoke and probably still get 40mpg.

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2014 22:28 #114892 by greenjimny
lobsters are hugely expensive and lets be honest for general off roading theyre a bit much , but for crawling (or running big rubber on a standard 1300 PETROL jimny ) there an ideal upgrade .

as for the £300 m16 upgrage ...this is of no use to me what so ever ! it was easier converting to derv than it would be messing around TRYING fitting this in my jimny !!

THE G16 THAT I FITTED was was a nice transformation to the jimny , bit more grunt and cos of this , better on fuel .

trust me mate the difference between the petrol and diesel torque on my recent conversions (g13b-g16b-dw8 ) is night and day and its only getting better ;)

@ chris going down your path now , as i said when a TD turned up it would be fitted ........ bought one today so itll be out with the new and in with the newer :laugh: B)

• greenjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2014 17:27 #123543 by greenjimny
hey guys not been on for a while now ,sorry to anyone whos interested in my build !

jimny is now Turbo Diesel 1900 pug motor as discussed in earlier posts

had a few problems along the way and a few breakages in test but all sorted now and been out using it hard a few times on sites

extremely happy with performance both on and off road ,cant believe the difference 20bhp and a bit of boost makes B)

got pics n vids ill stick em on soon

cheers

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds